Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NFL, Michael Vick and the Humane Society....

if anyone wants to support the Humane Society's campaign to get the NFL to take a hard line against Michael Vick's participation in dogfighting, please do so. Here's the link.
https://community.hsus.org/campaign/US_2007_dogfighting_nfl2/forward/ine75ks4pd5jbj3
That there are still people who subscribe to dogfighting as 'entertainment' is a sorry commentary on our society.

gcb

Re: NFL, Michael Vick and the Humane Society....

Michael Vick needs to be neutered without any anestetic.

Re: Re: NFL, Michael Vick and the Humane Society....

Good One!!

I think he should be sent to jail and tied to a "rape box" like his dogs.

While I detest the activity and the man, I will NEVER give my support, either vocally or monetarily, to the HSUS and its "causes".

You can, however, protest directly to the NFL Commissioner demanding Vick's suspension from football. Forever!

Suspension???
That will be easy. That man makes a lot of money to the NFL and that is all they care.

you can also ask that he be FIRED...
personally, i think he should be put naked into a pit with his 52 dogs that 'made the grade'...

While I detest the activity and the man, I will NEVER give my support, either vocally or monetarily, to the HSUS and its "causes".

Please don't take offense, but it is sad that a person can not just separate their political feelings to just fight for what is right regardless of who is helping in that fight.
I have read some other topics around here that get pretty heated and accusatory when people start talking about animal rights groups and animal welfare groups and i have NO INTEREST in such a conversation, I am only speaking of THIS one situation...we are all going to do what our own sense of right tells us to do.

This isn't "their" cause....its the dogs cause.
I have a mind and I use it....I make up my own mind and don't follow any particular group blindly, nor do I think it would be right to dismiss everything a particular group has ANY involvement in simply because I don't like the group...especially when we should ALL be on the same side here.
This is a just cause that will be brought up and supported by any number of various groups...success in sending the message that his is an atrocity in my opinion can not be linked with any particular stance or group other than we as Americans will not tolerate this behavior and refuse to reward this person with our respect, admiration and hero worship because he can throw a dang football.
Annie

Re: Re: Re: NFL, Michael Vick and the Humane Society....

Annie, thank you so much for your post. Exactly my feelings too. It isn't about a group, it's about the torture of the dogs.

I'm going to go out on a limb on this one. I have my flame suit on. The HSUS is not an organization that gets my support. I really don't like a lot of what they do. I am not a suspicious person by nature, but I do suspect that the HSUS is happily capitalizing on the outrageous Vick's case. If you go to the HSUS home page you will find the following prominently displayed.

Dogs Pay Price of Fighting
Dogs and shelters are the real victims of dogfighting. More»
Tell the NFL to act»
Donate to help end dogfighting»

It is very easy to get mad about Vick, but that does not make HSUS as a whole, a good organization. Being anti-Vick does not negate all the other things I do not like about HSUS. I can think of many organizations I would, and do, send my money to that take supportive positions on causes that are important to me as a dog fancier

Re: Re: Re: Re: NFL, Michael Vick and the Humane Society....

the intent of original post was not in support of the HSUS nor a request for donations. i tend to be wary of 'groups' and political parties/causes....and certainly don't blindly subscribe to wild hare causes.

However,I don't see how ANYONE can be blinded to the fact that this is a cruel and cowardly 'sport' and that it should be condemned by ALL civilized societies. It is NOT about the HSUS or any other political group. It's about the critters...

And if you think that the disrespect for animal life does not transcend all levels of society--consider this issue that is bound to induce vomiting----there ARE folks out there who breed dogs--LABS--for SCIENTIFIC research...

respectfully,

gcb, md

PS--i'm referring to people who breed dogs/cats specifically as 'suppliers' to medical and scientific research

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NFL, Michael Vick and the Humane Society....

Thats basically what I was saying Georgia, if not in the same way.
I understand some have issues with different groups, however, some of these groups, like it or not have the infrastructure and organizations to respond quickly when a situation like this happens, and sometimes, when you want to make your voice heard, it helps for everyone to band together.
If the fact that they can get millions of people to sign a petition or some such makes an impression on the people who we want our message to get to...then fine. It doesn't mean I am backing all they do without any thought.
My point was...in a round about way...its just as bad to blindly dismiss a cause due to a particular groups involvements as it is to blindly follow that group without doing your own thinking and research. This country in general is too focused on belonging to particular "groups" with pre-defined platforms...set in stone talking points and black and white stances. things are not always that way in the world and I like to be able to pick and choose the issues I want to support or fight to defend and could care less who else is on the band wagon as long as my own heart says it is right.In this case, they happen to be one group among many that are trying to make and impact on the issue.
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NFL, Michael Vick and the Humane Society....

If you want to kill a snake you do not cut off his tail.

If michael vick is guilty he will go to jail and the NFL will not have to suspend him.

If you believe he is guilty, you do not have to protest the NFL, heck, he is good for football (he sells seats, and jerseys and all that). Why do THEY want to suspend a nice little revenue stream?

The FALCONS owner is Arthur Blank. This man also founded THE HOME DEPOT....

FOLLOW THE MONEY, boycott THE HOME DEPOT. KILL THE SNAKE< cut off his head

"...I do suspect that the HSUS is happily capitalizing on the outrageous Vick's case."

Totally agree Joan.

As Red Birch has said neither will I ever support the HSUS or their friends in Peta as long as these organizations continue to operate the way they are today.

There are always other ways to protest against the behaviour of thugs.
Carla and someone else had good ideas about going to the real sources of these problems such as the NFL and the owners.

Yes you can protest in other ways than donating to the HSUS. Nike is Michael Vick's sponsor and he has a huge deal with them. They are considering suspending his deal (and money) like they did with Kobe Bryant (until after his trial was over, anyway) Tell them how you feel as well. To be honest online polls and petitions probably do nothing because anyone can sign one multitide of times.

I assume that most of us come here because we support the art of breeding better purebred Labrador retrievers. Yes, if you love Labs you probably also love all dogs and maybe even all animals. That's great. Just remember if you support breeding and showing dogs, the HSUS considers you an enemy JUST LIKE MICHAEL VICK!!! Don't forget Katrina - they made millions off of that catastrophe and very, very little went to actually help animals. read this: http://www.activistcash.com/organization_overview.cfm

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NFL, Michael Vick and the Humane Society....

absolutely Annie!
Thanks for the post!
gcb

Thanks for your words of wisdom Gina. People need to realize that just because you think this whole dog fighting issue is horrible, don't instantly start throwing money at the HSUS. Not unless you want your money being used for other causes supported by HSUS (like AB1634 in California). Don't give your money to a group that will turn right around and use it against you. Find another constructive way to voice your opinion.

Nancy Grace pretty much designated her whole show last night to this. It was hard to watch because there were pictures off to the side of the dogs fighting. I had to keep clicking the remote away from it, but kept going back to listen. People are, of course, outraged, even a senator called (actually screamed) it was barbaric. I think something will be done. Vick can pretty much be assured Nike will drop him and he should get whats coming to him for the brutal way these dogs were treated and lose his job with the NFL. I hope it makes anyone else raising pit bulls for fighting think twice because this case just may set a rule or example for more severe punishment if you're caught.

Agree

I was glad to see Nike cancel the introduction of his sneaker in August. I hope, when the case goes to trial and he is found guilty, that Nike fires him completely.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NFL, Michael Vick and the Humane Society....

"PS--i'm referring to people who breed dogs/cats specifically as 'suppliers' to medical and scientific research"

As an FYI, yes there are "suppliers" of purpose-bred dogs (and other species of animals) for medical research. It is FDA regulation (ie US law) that all drugs be tested in animals first before they be tested in humans. And all animal drugs are tested in animals before they can be sold for use in animals. How else are we to get safety data? I don't like it, and have first-hand knowledge of the system, but I don't want me, my kids, or my dogs to be the first ones to try something to see if it works.