Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How much hip swing is normal for a 16 wk. pup

I have a 16 wk. pup and am hoping to show eventually. While walking outside this evening I noticed she has a really loosey-goosey hip swing going on LOL. Is this normal at this age? Will it firm up a bit as she gets older?

Re: How much hip swing is normal for a 16 wk. pup

I have a 4 year old whose middle swings back and forth when he walks slowly...the movement that causes it is more in his hocks. His knees also point out a bit...not sure if this is a factor..his hip scores are excellent.

you could always Pennhip to get more info.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I have a 16 wk. pup and am hoping to show eventually. While walking outside this evening I noticed she has a really loosey-goosey hip swing going on LOL. Is this normal at this age? Will it firm up a bit as she gets older?

I just went through this...I was in obedience classes with my girl and the instuctor gave me her "honest" oppinion and said her hips looked bad...when I asked her why she thought that she said she was too loose. When I had her x-rayed she came back excellent!! My vet told me to look for just that.. means plenty of socket. She was 6 mos old at the time the instuctor "evaluated" her.

Re: Re: How much hip swing is normal for a 16 wk. pup

Good to hear someone else saw this and it's not just my imagination. Isn't 16 wks. too young for penn hip? I also see her twisting at the hock a bit with walking strides, don't see it so much or at least not such dramatic swing and twist at the trot. Trot seems to be more forward than side to side.

Re: Re: Re: How much hip swing is normal for a 16 wk. pup

you can Pennhip at 16 weeks, though some recommend waiting longer.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Good to hear someone else saw this and it's not just my imagination. Isn't 16 wks. too young for penn hip? I also see her twisting at the hock a bit with walking strides, don't see it so much or at least not such dramatic swing and twist at the trot. Trot seems to be more forward than side to side.

WTS - If you only know how much I paid at Geneva Model Agency to master that "loosey goosey" hip swing!!

Seriously, I've never seen any correlation between the Lab Walk and poor hips.

Re: Re: How much hip swing is normal for a 16 wk. pup

LOL, Thanks JP, I was thinking when I watched her, "Wow, that's some suductive sway ya got there chickie, save it for a couple years tho OK?"

All my dogs swing there hips. They think they are so Sexy.......

If she's ALWAYS trotting, even when you're walking, she's fine I'm sure...

My Sadie throws her hips around more than a Slinky going down the stairs, especially on a slippery surface. My wife says she has a 'come hither' way about her.

YOU MIGHT THIK ABOUT DANCE CLASS IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH YOU HAVE A NATURAL!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: How much hip swing is normal for a 16 wk. pup

I'm glad that "that swing" is good. I used to tell my girl: "If I had that swing in my backyard, we'd be millionaires!"

That isn't funny at all.