Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Would you still use your Vet?

Just thought I would get the opinons of others.
Wed of this week. It was a scorcher here 105F

When I went to the grocery store there was a dog in a surburan , window down bout 1" the Ac was not going.
This looked like a little poodle. But a parently a schnauzer ..... I didnt reconize the car.The dog didn't look as if he was having any problem with the heat.
When ever I go even to town with my dogs , I leave the car running with the AC on.

This is a very small town. Now that I know who the person was I didn't see her in the store in the check out line. she had gotten there before me. and everyone said she was in there for a very long time.

so had to be in there for longer then 5 mins.? Because I was there for at least 5 mins before I started shopping.
I thought if the dog looked in danger I would of been the first one to get the dog out. several people were upset about it.
I went on with my shopping. Some one called the cops.
But before they got there. The lady left.

Come to find out it was my Veternarian's Wife

I emailed a friend who works in the clinic. just told her exactly what I said here.

Yesterday when I went in to get a head count on puppy xrays.

The Vet ripped me a new one.And he swears a dog can't get heat stroke in 5 mins in a hot car or die with in that time. I did argue a little with him about that. He just laughed in my face.

So my Question because this is more of a personal matter with his wife and not a business one. Would you continue to use this vet.? Or Find a new one.?

The vet wouldn't have even known I said anything except for the friend I wrote in the first place.
She has been notified about what she said , And How i'm unhappy. I wasn't the bad guy here.

Re: Would you still use your Vet?

I wouldn't use that vet again...some are so spiteful these days you can just never tell. He's going to take his wife's side no matter what.. you know she lied to him about how long she was in the store.. Prob a good vet too huh? So sorry.

I would not use this vet again.

Find a new Vet!

Re: Re: Would you still use your Vet?

Hasta la vista baby!!!

There is 2 vets in this clinic. He the one mentioned. I use him , not his associate. But really ok with spaying and shots.AI And large animals.
But I do use 2 other vets elsewhere.

This clinic is just closer. They are not up to date.The xray machine is prehistoric. They don't do ekg or C-sec.?
anything major.
They can do dentals.I have always had to go do 2nd opinons anyway.

The little dog in question was barking and scratching at the window. The vet said all dogs do that. mine yours. I said mine don't,

neither did my chihuahua's I said if you look out to my car do you see my dogs barking and wanting to get out. Yesterday was 71 with a cool breeze blowing and the windows down. NOPE...

Not only would I not use him I would make SURE he knew why. i would write a formal letter telling him why.
For one, that his wife would do such a thing, and for a nother because not only did he act unprofessionally to you at the office ( even if he was upset he should have kept him mouth shut and never even brought it up) but for telling you falsehoods to try to justify something he knew darn well was horribly wrong and the cause of much suffering. So what if his wife, God forbid, had an accident in the store and DIDN'T make it out in 5 minutes? What if she was stuck behind a moron in the checkout line for 15 as we all have been at one time or another? So what if the dog didn't die...should it be submitted to the fear of it?
Living in Florida where so many DO die, I know that most vets spend a great deal of time begging people to remember that a cars temp can rise to above 120 degree within mere minutes.For all my life I will never forget when I worked at a vet and there was this VERY regular customer who dearly loved his Irish setter...he owned a video store down from the hospital and always had his dog with him. One Sunday he went in to just check on some things leaving his dog in the car and when he got inside he found someone had broken in. He was so flustered he forgot about his dear dog...just for a little bit. I was just in to check on everyone and clean up when the vet crashed in with this man holding his dog and sobbing uncontrollably begging him to save his dog. there was nothing that could be done.
Annie

Well, from what you've said you use this vet for and the fact that you have to get second opinions on anything they tell you anyway, I don't see the issue with cutting them loose. Personally, if my vet truly believed a dog could suffer no harm in a car with 100 degree heat for even 5 minutes, I would dump him just for that. That's plain ignorant, no matter if his wife lied to him about the amount of time or not. And the fact that he "ripped you a new one" for being concerned about his dog also doesn't sit well with me. If I were in your shoes, I would never use him again.

Never would I use this vet again. As other posters mentioned, he was extremely unprofessional by bringing up the subject with you at his office. If he wanted to discuss what happened, he should have called you. Then he laughs in your face. He needs to learn some manners. His wife was wrong. In the heat you never leave your animal in a car for any length of time PERIOD!
My opinion is never give him your business again. There are too many great vets out there to put up with his attitude and demeanor.

I live in the extreme heat in AZ. I know how hot cars can get and I won't take my dogs anywhere unless the car is cooled down. Worse yet, you can't let your dogs hop down onto blacktop or pavement for fear of burning pads. I carry, (even the big ones), across where I need to go if I can't park where they can hop out in shade.
A newstation ran a test the other day and put a reporter and a thermometer in a car and closed it up. The outside temp. was 110. Within 10 minutes, the car's inside temp. had reached 125+ degrees. The poor guy was covered in sweat and gasping for breath.

never give him a red cent more

goodness...that poor tv guy! THATS dedication to your job!
Yes..here in Florida they have run those tests live on air as well...(nobody in the car though:)....they show the gage going up right as you watch it. They also did a similar test with windows cracked so you could see how little it does to help.
Annie

I would find a different vet.

Diane

If that's how him and his wife treat their own dogs do you really trust him with yours?

The fact that he verbally attacked you is even worse. She was WRONG endangering a dogs life, not you for telling someone.

If it were me I would get rid of him, fast as I could pulling all medical records on my dogs.

Best of luck.

Michelle

Absolutely never step another foot there, other than to get all your dogs' records. Write a letter to the vet, the owner of the clinic (if it's not him), and also to the BBB, and perhaps the state board of Veterinary Medicine about the unprofessionalism of this vet.

Irregardless of his wife's stupidity towards pet care...

I do not pay ANYONE to "rip me a new one." &#$* that. You don't rip your customers a new one unless you don't want them as customers anymore. Logically speaking, he doesn't wish you to pay for his services anymore. Thus, you should find a new vet.

If it were me, I'd also send him (and if he does not own the clinic, the owner of the clinic) a letter explaining exactly WHY you will no longer be using their establishment.

Thanks for all who replied to this. I did call this morning and asked for the balance so i can get them paid off.Also to cancel my next appt.
Problem is the owner is no better. He is worse then the other vet who is mentioned here. The only time he does vet work is to take over for this other vet i was using. No one likes him.???

Nope, I wouldn't use him anymore. I'd make of point of telling him he and his wife are well known in the community and they should be setting better examples as pet owners. How does the naive and ignorant pet owner strolling down the sidewalk know if the owner of a dog locked in a car is only 10' away with the car in sight and the dog has only been in there 1 minute, for example... you just don't know, so these same people are going to think it's ok to also lock their dog in a car on a warm day, cause geeee, if the doc's wife does it, what's the harm?!

Oh I agree with some one thinking if the vets wife can do it and get by with we can... The vet. said god Diane Teresa loves that dog, she loves all animals. Well Great ,
Well I hope so she is married to a vet.?!!!

And I do agree we all have done something stupid. We all regret after we have done it.
I do feel better after all who have responded. I just can't stop thinking of the way the vet sounded/looked when his wife came in. He was soooooo proud of himself. His wife totally ignored me. I even said Hello. I thought what the H_______? And made sure she knew he had, had that discussion with me.??
Yep I barely could get a word in edge wise. which was only about Dying in 5 mins in a hot car. which I got laughed at.
oh well, He just dug his own grave.???
I guess I don't need to worry about buying them a new xray machine.With all the money they won't be making from me again.

No I wouldn't use them ever again.

There were several wrongs here.
-- it was wrong to leave the dog in the car (biggest wrong)
-- It was wrong for the vet to make excuses for his wife, and belittle a client in his office.

however...
-- It was wrong telling the story to his staff member, thus impacting his profession, before taking it directly to him (or his wife) first.

--It was wrong for the "friend"/Staff member to bring it to him and name you as the source. She should have told you to take it to him directly.

Bottom line... every person in the story made mistakes.

I am sure he was embarrassed (we often make stupid defensive statements when we're embarrassed). I am willing to bet he had (or would have had) some choice words for his wife, but before being able to take it to her in private (and keeping it private), his whole office (and other clients?) were involved. He is not responsible for leaving the dog in the car, his wife was. He should not have defended her actions, but stupid pride and pure embarrassment may be directing his words at this point (however foolish).

Were I you, I'd speak to him again. Apologize for taking it to a staff member before speaking to him about it, and then, if he continues to defend her, explain that his defense of an action that was dangerous at best, and/or outright cruel to the animal at worst, has caused you to seek veterinary care elsewhere. Then apologize again for taking it to his staff member before speaking to him about your concerns as you bid your farewell.

The only clearly innocent entity in the story was the dog.

Dian

Well true in some aspects.Lets Face it does anyone have comon sense anymore.
But he didn't just hear it from me , He heard about the dog from other people who were at the store.? I use other vets. So it really doesn't matter whether I go to him at all. Well thanks everyone for responding. Could happen to anyone.

Dian, My sentiments exactly.

THIS VET IS NUTS,I WORKED FOR A VET FOR 12 YEARS IN A HOT COUNTRY AND YOU NEVER LEAVE ANY ANIMAL IN A CAR WHEN IT IS HOT ,I HAVE SEEN MANY DEAD DOGS FROM PEOPLE DOING THIS,,,,,,LEAVE THE DOGS HOME WHEN IT IS TOO HOT!!!!!

Dian (Wells)as there are a few Diane's

I do understand where you're coming from BUT this man is in an live animal based business in a small town. I am sure rumors fly all the time, that is something he has to live with there; apparently working and living right in the midst of it.

First of all he is a VET (do Vets take an oath like the MD Hippocratic??) He should not take offense to something said that happened to be the truth. If it was a lie, different story but again you don't treat your clients that pay you for your services like that. That Diane told a friend that worked there the story is not an issue in my opinion. Bottom line is his wife did something very dangerous and against the law and wasn't humane. Her actions were also related to their animal "business." I am sure Diane is not the only one that spoke about it, emailed or called a friend.Someone called the police before the vet's wife left.

I don't think the client did anything thing wrong. If it were me I probably would have wanted to talk to someone after the incident, maybe my vet himself. That his worker went back to him and he had the nerve to tear his paying client a new #$^&*$( and laughed in her face is dispicable, shame on him!

Diane asked the board for advice, to quote her "would you still use the vet." She didn't ask for opinions of who did something wrong. We all know his wife's actions and his treatment of a paying client were very wrong.

If it were me I wouldn't set foot in there again with an animal of mine for those two reason, what the wife did with the dog and how Diane was treated after by the apparently very cocky arrogant vet.

When we do something wrong we have to live with the ramifications of it. The man has a title at the end of his name that is to care for animals medically in a humane fashion yet his wife is allowed to keep a dog in a hot car without anyone whispering about it? I'm sure he lost more than Diane as a client that day if people knew who she was.

This is just my opinion.

Diane seems to have decided not go back prior to a few of our posts. I hope she finds or has a kind, caring vet to use. If it were me... I would tell the NEW or other vets the reasons why I was no longer usng him.

There were two infractions IMO, the vet's wife's actions with the dog in very high temperatures and the vet's treatment of Diane. I don't see where the client did a thing wrong.

Well said, Dian. The problem might be small townitis. This does not excuse the vet or his wife, however in an emergency with your animals, in a small town, you need the closest vet FAST. I have the same problem. I would also apologise for talking to the employee first and then explain why I am going elsewhere for basic care...explaining very nicely...if you cannot reach resolution with the guy. (What a jerk!)

I had a similar issue with my other vet. They misdiagnosed my dog, refused to listen to my suspicions, and then when I came back with the results of his sucessful treatment with another vet - it was a nice conversation - no blame - refused again to listen and accept that the other treatment worked. We are still all friends and I have had to use them in an emergency last year. In a small town it's important to not burn your bridges - you have no choice, unfortunately, as much as I hate it.And don't think the vets don't talk about you - they do. I worked in a vet office.

A

Oh my gosh of course they talk about you, I'm or some else is ususally the topic of the conversation when I stop into this vet clinic to pay my bill.

And ya know I'm sure each and every one of us. Has talked to a friend. About this or that. Then it comes back to you.whether relative business associate co-worker teacher and person of service like this.

Guess I'm pretty Naive I need to wake up
When I tell a friend something I don't expect it to get to the general public. My Fault. Its not like I go into this clinic Weekly I go elsewhere for OFA Xrays ekg ultrasounds. I give my normally own shots.
Maybe a spay every so many years.
This friend staff member. works for 2 vets in that office. She will only use the vet in question.

So ok I got stabbed in the back.

You sure did get stabbed in the back, by the person you spoke to and the Vet himself. I don't think you did a darn thing wrong Diane. I would move on and never allow someone to speak to you like that again. You're paying for a service not a lecture or laugh in your face. His wife was irresponsible leaving a dog in the car in 105 degree heat. How dare he speak to you like that or laugh at you.

Just move on and forget he exists. You're not nieve, you sound like you have a big heart but there shouldn't be room in it for someone like him.

Exactly what I was thinking Michelle. I could not trust this vet's opinion ever again.

i would have ripped HIM a new ass...he and everyone in that office would have known i was there and my thoughts on the situation and THEN his wife would have been hiding in a corner crying for her momma. post his number on here.. go to a diff computer if you have too.. by the time I'm done with those simple minded idiots they'll KNOW NOT to leave a dog in a hot car again EVER!!

Absolutely not an apology from me to that vet. I don't kiss

The person who stabbed you in the back re your e-mail is not a nice person either. This whole vet practice sounds like the pits. Betraying confidential e-mails is the work of a snake in the grass. Kick them all to the kerb and never look back. Diane, you did the right thing and you shouldn't be the one to suffer for it.

Thanks all,
I really don't feel i have anything to apoligize about, I told a friend. Yes she works at the clinic 3 mornings a week. I told her this in private email.
Think it was alexandria that said , You may need them for an emergancy, Well I have in 21 yrs of living here. Used the clinic 2 times for an emergancy. 1 with cows 1 with a dog.And never used this vet. Ended up getting the one I don't want to use. ??

Last year I had a C-section to get done after hours Super bowl night in a snow storm. We drove 1 hour to get to the vets I sometimes use. There is 9 vets with in 45 mins of where I live. That I could go to. All the vets are always on call after 5 pm.

Normally I might see the 3 people in question driving maybe 1 time a week 2 times a month I rarely run into them at a store.Maybe 1 time a year. No biggy to me. I live pretty far out in the country ,So that is why I don't see them much.
Thanks so much for your replies.

Well, lets just say that your vet is lucky it wasn't me that found that dog in the car, or they would have had the SPCA on them and a shattered car window.

If you have ever given CPR to a dog who has been in the car, you won't ever, ever leave them for 'just a minute' again.

My dogs don't go for car trips with me in the summer, unless I am specifically going somewhere for them, they stay home.

Now, winter time, they just love doing errands!

I would never so much as give him the time of day. Not another cent. I would also contact the vet college in your area to let them know he is telling people it is ok to leave dogs in cars for 5 minutes on very hot days.

We don't have anything like the SPCA even close.And no animal control.The strays run free or people shoot them........ I know lovely town........ Matter of fact a guy called me the other day, I save his dog from being shot by him years ago.

He called to tell me he had 2 dogs show up on his place. And he was going to shoot them, if I didn't come get them. I didn't get the message to the next day.......???=/

I know your gonna say call the cops. They shoot the strays toooo.;/

Well during my A___ chewing I even told the vet that it was hot out. He said NO it wasn't. I jsut gave him a weird look. I thought whatt the hell kind of drugs are you on... I did said hard to tell when your inside..w/AC... But I was wrong about everything.

So the one poster did hit it right on the nail. He always has been a Cocky SOB

He Knows he has made that vet clinic. As no one will use the other. But he will be away for 4 wks.Starting this week. So everyone will have to use the other or go elsewhere.........

Oh Boy, how opposed would you be to moving? LOL

Oh believe me I have thought about it.
I lived some where else before moving here 28 yrs ago. But since I live way way out in the country. I really don't have much to do with my town. To heart sickening And you will just stay mad

"I do not pay ANYONE to "rip me a new one." &#$* that. You don't rip your customers a new one unless you don't want them as customers anymore"

I had this experience with a vet under different circumstances and I left the practice immediately.

Actually I was just sitting on the bench. When he had his loud discussion with me. I was waiting for the girl to take the xrays to the hospital to have developed for the head count on puppies.
I guess I was shocked he even was saying that to me.And trying to figure out why he was saying this.

Re: Would you still use your Vet? update

You don't need to post to this thread,
Just giving you an up date. I did this on my own. Not because people posted before this.Although all of you gave me new insite to the Thread. I don't feel like I'm the bad guy. And don't feel I need to applogize I didn't do anything wrong I told and emailed someone.About what happened. But I'm the bad guy.???In there minds.

I called in to the vet clinic this morning to let them know I needed all my dogs cats cows Health records. I would be seeking other veternarian services Elsewhere. No one was there but the lone cowboy.I said I will pick them up this afternoon or you could put them in an envelope for my hubby/Gary to pick up on the way home from work. That will shock everyone when they get back to work. I have spent alot of money there.
He said we are awfully busy this morning. ?? I thought really no one is there but him.??When I drove by. But I had my bitch in the car due to whelp anyday.
He said He would have it done later today....
I wanted all CD's Xray Films Everything. He was shocked and actully didn't know what to say. He is a staff person and a good friend of mine.

But when I went to the fairgrounds to take 4-H record books in, its our county fair. I Have been the 4-H dog leader for 17 yrs. Proud to say...
I was speaking to a lady who was at the grocery store when the dog in the car happened.she is a good friend. She wanted to know what happened.

interesting she parked next to the dog in the car. she said she was there 5 mins prior to me getting there.

But she asked why it was such a big deal to NOT be able to leave your dog in the car. In the hot weather. she does it all the time.???? OMG
She thought I was wrong to worry about a dog being closed up in a car when your only in the store for 5 mins.WHATS THE HARM.???
she said Diane is it worth loosing your friends over this.Because of a dog left in the car.??? I SAID BARB IT'S EVERY BIT WORTH IT.

Because I'm not leaving my dog in the car I'm leaving my kid in the car That I love more then friends. I just shook my head in disbelief when I walked out of there.