Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Serivce Fees

I have always just had bitches and now have my first stud dog. I am trying to put together a stud contract and would like some input.

I decided to use the $250 service fee and balance when and if puppies arrive, instead of total stud fee upfront. The only thing I have not decided on is how to handle if bitch owner does decide to try with same stud again.

For those that do ask for service fee then balance when pups are born.

Do you ask for another service fee on the 2nd try?

TIA

Re: Serivce Fees

Yes. That's what the service fee is for!

Do you mean the same heat time frame or an entirely differnt heat time frame?

Different heat cycle.

When you charge a set stud fee lets say $900. You pay that upfront. If the bitch does not take then you get a return service at no cost. ( I am not including shipping, boxes, vet collection those are usually on top of stud fee)

If I charged a $900 stud with $250 at the time of service and the rest when puppies arrived and no money if no litter. Next heat comes and with the same bitch they decides to try again with the same stud. Then if a charge another $250 service fee then the total stud fee would end up being $1150. Is this fair?

Maybe I could offer both. If they chose all upfront and the bitch does not take and they try again and no luck then they would be out all the stud fee. Or they could chose the Service fee and if she does not take they are out less money but if she does take they paid a little more. I guess you are playing the odds.

I have had friends who tried several times and never took and were out the stud fee plus all the extras. I am just trying to be fair to everyone. But wanted do know how everyone else is doing it.

Re: Re: Serivce Fees

If you offer a Live Litter Guarantee then I wouldn't charge additional monies, but if your boy is proven and you do try again the bitch needs to be evaluated.

Why the $250 figure? I mean, if you are tacking on for the vet collection costs, bitch owner is paying for shipping boxes and courier expense and you're not boarding the bitch. Have to ask, isn't the idea to work with the bitch owner to get puppies out there by your stud and not just go through the motions to put money in the pocket?? I know I'm being blunt, but I ask this in all sincerity. Now mind you I know a stud owner can ask for what ever terms they want, and the bitch owner can accept them, or decline and go elsewhere. But where did the $250 sum come from and how do some justify that figure? Especially since there is no return visit offered if the breeding doesn't take? I mean, I honestly believe in being fair and stud owner being compensated for time and trouble, but other than running the dog to the vet for the collection which you're having the bitch owner reimburse, and most clinics can ship FedEx daily so you aren't even having to run to a FedEx hub to drop the shipment, what all do you to for that $250 figure? Why not $150? Is the $250 just a random figure, or because that's what everyone else asks? Basicall, guess I'm asking do you think that's treating fairly for what you do and not offer a repeat?

I know this topic always starts the stud owner vs bitch owner debate, and honestly that's not my objective. Just curious how the figure was arrived at and if the idea is to get puppies on the ground out of your boy, and you the stud dog owner are having bitch owner pay for all other expenses, why not offer the repeat if the breeding doesn't take first try?

Re: Re: Re: Serivce Fees

The service fee is to cover costs, as in time and use of your dog. This fee is usually deducted from the stud fee and balance due when pups hit the ground. A second breeding to same dog at a later heat would be same deal. The service fee is paid every time the bitch is to be bred(different heats). This way if bitch doesn't take they don't feel they need to repeat the breeding as well as you don't need to either. The service fee is paid if bitch takes or not. It is the way I have done things for almost 20 years, works well, no hard feelings either way, and gives bitch owner 9 weeks to have stud fee balance.

I hope that makes sense, and helps.

I make myself available to the bitch owner when her girl is ready (this may include changing/cancelling plans) Then, I take my boy to the vet which is 1-1/2 hours round trip plus gas. I then pay my vet $75.00 for each collection (for his fee). Do this 2 times. I guess $250.00 is reasonable. BTW, I also own bitches and have never hesitated paying a stud dog owner for their time and trouble.

No, I was speaking of cases where bitch owners have to reimburse for collection costs, shipping boxes, courier expenses, etc. You say you include the collection costs in your $250, so not a similar scenerio. I know some collection costs runs $120 per collection and bitch owner is responsible on top of the $250 service fee.

I have found that there are 2 different ways to do stud fees.

1) Pay all of stud fee up front.

If bitch does not take or does not have a set amount of puppies you get a return service. But if you decide not to use the same stud or it was your bitches last chance to whelp due to age. And you do not have another bitch to use with that stud dog than you are out all the the money.

2) Pay a service fee upfront and the balance if you have a litter. If you do not have a litter that is all the was owed.

This works well for those that are breeding for their last litter or if the worst happens and they lose their bitch or she has to be spayed because of problems with labor and delivery.
And then sometimes things can change and you may not want to use the stud dog a second time. Lets say you learned he had a low sperm count or other problems. So many things can change or go wrong and as a bitch owner I would hate to be out all the the sutd fee and have nothing for it.

You also do not have to keep track of who you owe return services too.

I know I am not the only one who is doing this. This topic has come up before with different questions.

I wanted to here from those that offer stud service this way how do you handle a return service?

It does not matter which payment method you chose, almost all stud dogs make the bitch owner responible for collection, boxes, and shipping and this is ontop of the stud fee.

Newbie,

Thank you for your reply. This is what I thought most did. I just want to do this right.

I charge stud fee, paid up front. If no litter, I refund all but $150.00 to cover my time and preparations. I find this works nice, nobody is obligated after the breeding. I either view the bitch or take Vet letterhead regarding a miss. If they decide to come back another time, full fee is charged again with same refund policy. Different way of doing things, but works for me.

I think most of us charge $200. up front. I like this way alot. And if they do the testing right you don't have to worry about a repeat anyway. I have only done one repeat in 5 years with my stud. Would not worry about that. I like the $200. so in the mean time if you change your mind the owner of the female has not paid the entire stud fee. I have lost the fee a couple of times. Don't like this. I have females and a stud dog so appreciate both sides of this coin.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Serivce Fees

does anyone have a stud contract that I could look at?
I could email you privately.

Original poster wrote: It does not matter which payment method you chose, almost all stud dogs make the bitch owner responible for collection, boxes, and shipping and this is ontop of the stud fee.
-------------------------

I know many many stud owners are quite capable of collecting themselves, but will give the bitch owner the option of having the stud owner collect (of course no additional charge) or having a vet collect (at added charge).
My feeling is if the stud owner can't collect the dog themselves, then just figure up to two vet collections right into the asked stud price and be done with it, just makes things so much easier. JMO

I really like the idea of a reasonable service fee so nobody is obligated to repeat if it doesn't take. However, $250 - 300 is too much to lose.

It is better than $800 to $1000.

I think maybe I will give both option and let the bitch owner decide.

I will also charge the Service fee again if they decide to try again, but hopefully that does not happen often.

Thanks for the replys