Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud Dog Age

I think I remember reading an article at some point regarding how breeding a dog at an older age for the first time reduces the chance of the dog being fertile. Does anyone know what I am talking about? I need that article to send to someone.

Thanks!
Gail

Re: Stud Dog Age

I am pretty sure that would be in reference to using a stud dog for the 1st time when he has not been "cleaned out" on a regular basis throughout his life.
I think the recommendation is every month or so starting at 1 year?
Not having done this I would suspect the motility would not be as good on a n older, un used dog.
I guess it's a supply and demand kind of thing

Re: Stud Dog Age

I think that "cleaning out" theory is an old wive's tale.

I seem to remember some variant of that line being told to me by a fraternity boy when I was about 19. Didn't work!

Re: Re: Stud Dog Age

I seem to remember some variant of that line being told to me by a fraternity boy when I was about 19. Didn't work!

OMG, that's too funny, I was thinking something very similar...

Re: Re: Stud Dog Age

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I think that "cleaning out" theory is an old wive's tale.

Re: Re: Re: Stud Dog Age

Actually, I attended a fertility seminar and they said that "old sperm" (sperm that has been sitting a long time) is less verile than "younger" sperm, and they DID recommend a male be collected a week or so before being used for breeding, if he hasn't been collected in a long time.