Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Deramaxx

I was wondering if anyone has used this medication? My male is lame and we have a show coming up. This is the drug my vet has suggested. Any thoughts on this product? Thanks mw

Re: Deramaxx

I have a dog who uses this periodically and find it to work well. Just make sure to follow the correct dosage. The dosage is different from Rimadyl and there have been some mix ups with people who switch from Rimadyl.
You might also consider trying Science Diet j/d. I am not a fan of Science Diet foods, but went to a seminar on arthritic pain management in dogs and this food and Purina's Joint formula were highly recommended in conjunction with Deramaxx. It has been about a year since I tried this and my 10 year old lab looks good and is feeling good. She rarely needs the Deramaxx. The food is also highly palatable...she loves it!!!!

I trust you know why he's lame? If he's lame maybe you should think twice about showing him even if he's on medication.

Re: Re: Deramaxx

I've used Deramaxx quite a bit over the past couple of years and I have been very happy with its effectiveness and I've never had an adverse reaction. The thing I don't like though is that it absorbs moisture and crumbles rather quickly if not stored properly (there's no avoiding humidity here in Hawaii). I have also tried Metacam which I am fond of as well and being that it's a liquid form it lasts longer in storage.

I've found both of the above to be way more effective than Rimadyl or Etogesic ever were. I also like them both better than Previcox.

In the past I have asked my vet about using Science Diet J/D instead of a chondroitin supplement that I had 2 of my dogs on. He recommended that if I were going to spend extra $ on anything, it should be the supplement rather than the food. He mentioned that the additives within the food are an average amount that may not be effective enough for my particular dogs. He said by sticking with my regular food and buying the supplement I would be able to alter the dosage of the supplement for my 2 individual cases. I do know people who have had success using J/D but he didn't seem to think it would be worth it for me.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Aloha,
Kim

He has interdigital dermatitis, we've been trying different things on his foot. Nothing is clearing it up. The vet said if I had a show coming up he could give me something for the pain. He is only sore on stones, not lame at all on the grass. I was just looking for something that would be a temporary relief incase he gets sore at the show. I have been trying Nizoral shampoo and Monistat cream on the spot but it hasn't cleared it up. The vet's not sure how to get rid of it. He has another client with the same thing, he has sent his dog to a dermatoligist. We are waiting for the results from that dog and we may try treating the same with my dog. mw

Re: Re: Re: Deramaxx

Have you tried just using the gentian violet/boric acid ear wash to clean it out frequently? I've heard the trick with interdigital dermatitis is drying it out and the above combo ( the blue ear wash) has drying/astringent properties. I'd also try to keep him from getting the foot wet or drying and reapplying if he does. Sometimes a round of antibiotics are necessary if it becomes infected. Personally I'd rather try this prior to pain meds. Good Luck

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

He has interdigital dermatitis, we've been trying different things on his foot. Nothing is clearing it up. The vet said if I had a show coming up he could give me something for the pain. He is only sore on stones, not lame at all on the grass. I was just looking for something that would be a temporary relief incase he gets sore at the show. I have been trying Nizoral shampoo and Monistat cream on the spot but it hasn't cleared it up. The vet's not sure how to get rid of it. He has another client with the same thing, he has sent his dog to a dermatoligist. We are waiting for the results from that dog and we may try treating the same with my dog. mw

Yes, I've used it with good results.

Also, have you tried Gold Bond Powder on his feet?

Good luck

I just use Hibitane with great results