Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Obedience help wanted..

I have been training my 3.5 yr old chocolate Lab for cometitive obedience for about 3 years (we wanted to make sure he was good n ready). He has done great, and we are now finally ready to compete, and have our first trail in one month.

Anyways, he's done great, not perfect granted, but awesome.
I would like any first-timer tips, I and he have been trained by a judge, with all the right commands and ways of doing things. I have had alot of experience with obedience training, but never competing yet for myself.
I am also scheduled to ring steward the obedience the same day that I compete (another steward can fill me in), so I do have alo of experience.

Anyways, I was wondering if any of you, who have had experience competing, have any tips for the first-timer for me. I'm kind of nervous, not tha cocoa won't perform as much, but for me, I know how strict it is, I don't want to mess up myself.
Cocoa does need a few more weeks of heeling, on a flat with no treats, he's getting better, but overall, I need help with myself. I know that no touching the dog is allowed (it can result in minor-major points deducted) and that I must stand straight, hold the lead a certain way, take a certain amount of steps (how many was it for the recall? I can't rmember.) But info on all these things would help a bunch.

I'm sure we'll do great, but i just want any last mintue helpful tips. We are going to obedience class this week, and probably everyweek (I've been going on and off recently) until we compete to fine-tune us.

Thanks!

Wish us luck!

Re: Obedience help wanted..

Ok, I have competed in obedience and you can away from the ring practice with the dog. I would suggest if there is any way to get the dog out and walk him in a heel as many times as you can before you go into the ring. Also, do some about turns and left and right turns. This is allowed away from the ring as long as the judge isn't able to see this. You can practice outside the ring with food if you want.
I have known OTCH people rubbing food on there belt buckles or front of there pants for the perfect front.
Do some fronts and heels left or right whichever you have trained the dog. On the recall make sure you watch the judge for him or her to give the signal to call your dog. When I did the stand for exam, I would take the leash off and hand it too the stewart and then take three steps to the front of the dog, then back to the heel position when the judge was finished.
Just make sure whatever facial jestures you have when you are training are the same in the ring. Make sure the you have a good size loop in the leash when you do the patterns for heeling. Take a deep breath when you go into the ring and make sure you talk loud enough for the dog to hear the commands you want. Don't get nervous and mutter or whisper voice. Tell the dog to HEEL in a voice of "Command", that will wake the dog up and you will feel more confident.
Don't worry if the dog lags, just keep walking in a brisk pace, he will catch up with you. Ok, there a bunch of other things, but you will learn how you and your dog work together when you get into the ring.
The down side is that you can practice and practice and you never know what your dog will do once you get into the ring! It could be something everytime. And above all, don't train your dog to death.

Re: Re: Obedience help wanted..

Thank you! That was all very helpful! Now, we can use voice or hand commands right? We can't use them together, but we can do one or the other on different excersizes? Say if I wanted the hand signal for down, and the call for voice? Does that work?

Thank you so much.

Re: Re: Re: Obedience help wanted..

I assume you are entering Novice A. Is this correct?

Being that it's your first time in the ring at a trial, I'd keep it simple for both of you and stick with verbal commands. Get the feel of the ring, what's expected of you and then move onto mixing things up as you progress.

After all that training I'm certain you'll both do just fine. Stay calm, speak clearly when giving commands, allow your left arm to hang naturally when heeling (I got nailed on that once for 3 points) and have fun! Please let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Aloha,
Kim

Re: Re: Re: Re: Obedience help wanted..

Yes, since this is your first tial, I would do the verbal, if that is the way you have been doing it.
Don't change things now, as you compete you will see what you have to work on to improve, you and the dog.
But, I'm sure you will do just fine. If you have a run thru at one of the training centers near you, go and just tell you are showing soon in obedience with your dog. Pretend its just a walk in the park! That will help take the nerves away. I had a judge once who asked me how I was doing and all that stuff then finally asked if I was ready and my dog was confused, because at the run thru's they just asked if I was ready! These dogs are smart and body language is everything!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Obedience help wanted..

I'm on an excellent obedience list: Dogobedience@yahoogroups.com is the main address for it.

Remember to breathe, smile, take advantage of the Novice A walk through, ask the judge questions, many judges will spell out very clearly how to go from exercise to exercise. Obedience is very precise, but you'll be surprised sometimes with what you get away with. Read your rule book, be clear on the principle part of each exercise, the rest is just small deductions, miss the principle part and your sunk.

Have a good time, Novice a goes by so fast, and you're never Novice a again.

barb

Hi Hillary
Remember to have fun!! That's the entire reason we do this!Even the most experienced Obedience Instructor/Trainer will make a miss step or give a vague cue. This is your first trial, enjoy the experience, relax, smile, pass your confidence on to you dog! Walk in with a spring in your step.No matter what happens in the ring....praise and love your dog as soon as you are able to after leaving the ring.I've been showing in Obedience for 25 years...and the words of my mentor 25 years ago still apply....Have FUN!
Good luck and let us know!
Lisa and Crew

Hi Hillary,
Because you asked questions about voice and/or hand signals, make sure you have a current rule book. Go over each exercise until you are familiar with the regulations for each exercise.
I have been a trial chairman for my obedience club for many years, and one thing I can say I have seen over and over in Novice A exhibitors is that they tend to come hours before necessary; and they warm their dogs up so much that they leave their performance outside the ring. Because Novice A exhibitors tend to be fairly nervous, they sometimes forget to make sure their dog has pottied before he goes into the ring. This results in disqualification and tears of humiliation on the handler's part.
As someone else stated, be sure to wait for the judge's signal for the recall. Make sure your dog can hear your command, and say it clearly. Keep your hands at your side, stand up straight and don't bob your head.
It sounds as if you are ready, and I am sure you and Cocoa will do just fine. Good luck! Let us know how you do.

Good luck.
I have OTCH's two dogs. I am only stating that here so you know that my advice is sound.

If I were you I would offer my apologies and NOT steward for your very first show or for that matter for your first 10 shows. You and your dog are just beginning and have lots to learn You and your dog are not yet a team and you need to first make sure he is comfortable and relaxed and your attention should really be on your dog.

If possible set up your dog/stuff in the shade AWAY from the crowd if possible but keep the ring in sight. Showing is stressful for our dogs. Stay with him and limit your socializing until AFTER your run. Get your number as soon as possible. Ask to go about 7 or 8th. That way you will have already seen the heeling pattern and the general set up in the ring. When you warm up your dog, practice THAT heeling pattern but as stated don't overdue. Going early also gives you the advantage of cooler temperatures for your sit/stay (if your class is early). In Novice A, with other inexperienced teams, you also run the risk of dogs peeing in the ring so if you go early you reduce your risk of possibly following a team that has had an accident.

If this is an outdoor trial, after you get your number, walk your dog around the outside of the ring that you will be competing in. Once if enough if he is confident. This way he sees everything and you will know if there is something you must deal with. During this walk you should be looking INSIDE the ring to make sure you know where the ruts, holes, rocks, dips etc that may interfer with your performance.

Befor you go in the ring, DON'T watch other competitors warm up, EVER. You may loose confidence or be tempted to try something new.

After you compete in your ring make some time to go over and watch the legimate OTCH teams warm up for the open and utility classes.

Good luck

Re: Re: Re: Obedience help wanted..

Sounds like you've gotten some really good advice from the other posters. Especially about remembering to have fun and keep your sense of humor.

I used to do quite a bit of obedience showing, and I'm just getting back to it after many years. I found that I was EXTREMELY nervous before my first show (in Rally not Obedience) last May. I don't know how we got around the ring that day--LOL! I was having an anxiety attack and my happy, high energy dog was doing cart wheels and generally misbehaving--extremely embarressing. The judge was very busy marking demerits on her score sheet--we lost 16 points for heeling mistakes--mostly handler errors.

The next day, I was calmer, and more focused, and my dog and I had a very respectable run.

So try and remember to keep your sense of humor--especially if you have some troubles in the ring, and chalk it up to experience.

have fun and let us know how you do!
Cathy M.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Really Important to Remember

I just wanted to mention one more thing that I personally feel is the most important aspect to obedience. Be a good sport, congratulate the class placers and if you see a great run, even if they NQ'd, go up and let them know you think they are a good team. If you NQ, don't get upset and ALWAYS leave the ring smiling with a good attitude.
Good luck and enjoy

I have to agree with Heidi, enjoy yourself, keep upbeat spirits, even if you NQ, who cares?

Walk briskly, and with purpose and your dog will believe you know what you are doing, and that is half of the battle.

I too, would offer appologies about the stewarding, that is just too much to be anxious about for your first time!

I agree with Heidi, always make every part of the experience positive for you AND your dog. I have seen people be so upset with their dog, they leave the ring and banish the dog to the crate. Bad energy. I always want my dogs to think being in the ring is the greatest thing on good days and bad.

Ron

Hi Hillary!
First off, great job getting your dog ready! Here's some advice from my first experiences in Novice A so long ago with a 14 month old puppy.

1- Let the dog make the mistakes! I lost 3 pts before even starting for giving a correction for a slow sit my first time in the ring. (Dog still qualified despite me!)

2 - Breathe and try to remember this is supposed to be fun! (I almost passed out the first time - had tunnel vision and everything - dog still qualified!)

3 - Read Barbara Handlers book - Successful Obedience Handling. Can be found on Dogwise.com Great tips - I found it invaluable and ended up titling several dogs in obedience, using her ring tips as a basis.

Good luck and have fun!

How do you ask to go 7th or 8th? I have only been doing this for about 15 years and I was always told you go in order unless you have a conflict - in which case the judge will decide if you go first or last.

If you are one of the very first to pick up your number you would ask the steward, at time of pickup, to please put your number 7 or 8th from the beginning.
Most will try and accomodate your request.

As I said, I have OTCH'd two labs, have competed extensively and have asked for this many, many times. I can only tell you what has worked for my dogs. Almost all stewards will try to accomodate such a request as this doesn't disrupt the schedule.

Mints!! Lotsa breath mints! Your dog can smell the adrenaline on your breath, which makes them a bit uptight. So, to mask it, suck on peppermints, lifesavers, tic-tacs, whatever.....thats one of the reasons alot of judging tables have a basket of candies/mints on them.....and ALWAYS practise like you're gonna compete, and compete like you're gonna practise!! Enjoy! Lisa

Thank you so much, you have all gave more loads of great advice, I'm sure I'll do fine now!

I will take your advice. Obedience should be fun, it is at home, and I hope it can be just as much fun in the ring.

Thank you!

Oh, and about stewarding, I actually got asked to steward first, I took the job. The president asked me to steward, then also told me to enter my dog, she is also my teacher/instructor for obedience, so I'll take her word for it! thanks though, I'll consider it for the future. :)

WE'll let you know how we do!

-Hillary & Cocoa

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Really Important to Remember

Well said, Heidi.

Cathy M.

Thanks Heidi, I never knew that - but will keep it in mind next weekend.

If you haven't done so already please download and read the rules from the akc. www.akc.org