Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diamond foods

Can anyone tell me of their experiences with the Diamond line of dog foods? I realize they were involved in a recall a while back, but they seem to have their act together now. I was looking through some of their formulas and they don't look half bad, especially for the price.

Re: Diamond foods

have used them for almost 5 yr's with wonderful results.

Most/all my gang is on the "nat' chix and rice formula".

IF I lived closer to a Costco I would use their less expensive Kirkland brand which is made by Diamond so that is something you might want to check into.

I have used Diamond since the 80's I actually liked it more when it didn't have a shelf life.
But i get wonderful coats on my chocolates.And shine. And 1 alien yellow. !!!! They seem to utilize the food real good. I use the Diamond prem adult. And mix the growth with the prem adult for my whelping bitches.
Puppies are on proplan and switch over to the prem adult at 5 mos.

I love the food and was involved with dogs that were sick from the food. I still like the food and just started using it again, since my feed store said that have really have a great quality assurance now, because of what happened. I have started using it again. I used it for years and the coats on my dogs were wonderful as the health and teeth.

All of mine get the same Diamond (Premium Maintenance or regular Maintenance.) I get GREAT coats & teeth, and can adjust body weight without losing overall condition on my 12-month, 4 year, or the 12/13 year olds. It's no more expensive than the Costco brand if you buy at Tractor Supply.

It's nice not having to buy different formulas for different dogs' needs.

Re: Re: Diamond foods

i think you're crazy to even bother with this food when there are sooooo many other BETTER foods to choose from ??????

Re: Re: Re: Diamond foods

I've been looking at the formulas and I wonder exactly what makes this food inferior in your opinion?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Diamond foods

IMO the lamb and rice is the better of there lines. It has more meat in this formula.
It Does NOT contain Corn, Soy, or Wheat

DIAMOND NATURALS LAMB AND RICE

Ingredients
Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, egg product, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), rice bran, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

To: I Don't Get it

check out the review on the dog food you feed on this website. Then maybe you will get it

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

we have been using Diamond Chicken and Rice for years. Weight is predictable, great coats, they love the stuff, although with Labs, they love anything. Happy, healthy dogs. It is reasonably priced for a high quality food. In the grading system it was in the upper 90's which is an A. We have tried some of the "Natural Specialty" foods, the dogs started having stomach problems due to the foods being too rich. I don't think they can handle a big influx of veggies and berries etc. We do give them fresh uncooked sweet potatoes to cruch on. They pick their own wild blackberries in season. How they can stand to get their noses in the bushes I will never understand. "Thorns, what thorns?" Some of the most expensive kibble is nothing but grain, Where's the beef?

Re: To: I Don't Get it

There's more to choosing a food than a review. Some of the foods that people consider "the worst" still produce great results for some dogs. I've learned the hard way that more expensive isn't always better. If you look beyond the marketing, sometimes the ingredients are very similar.

I was asked to use Diamond food on a dog I trained. He was doing fine on it. The bag of food went bad while in my possession, caused the pup to get sick. I called Diamond and a representative was immediately on the phone. They are refunding the purchase price, no questions asked without a receipt. Their customer service is top notch and I really appreciated that.

I used Diamond for years also. Until the recall. In switching to another brand I realized how large the stools had been. With the new very small pick up amounts. What a difference. Decided must be getting more out of the new brand. Also, always kept bad ears. Not anymore ! Never liked the puppy. And the Lamb I had a dog have reactions. So did go back one more time and with large and almost loose stool, stayed with the new brand. But it was great on the chocolates coats. Omega 3 and 6, but alot of other foods have that now.

Actually, the Kirkland foods (Costco made by Diamond) is a superior food to the Diamond if you compare the ingredient lists!!! The Kirkland distributor told me that all Kirkland products are made with their company's control and, like ALL Kirkland products, are as good or better than any product on the market! I know in my experiences with using Kirkland products, they are top quality!!!!

Even the nutritionist at Diamond said the Kirkland food was as good as Diamond! Of course, no worker for the company would say it is better! It was acknowledged that Costco has complete control over the ingredients and their food is made independently!

I used Diamond many years ago in the later 80's early 90's and liked it then. Got all caught up on the dog food hype as years went on and found myself going back to Diamond about 6 years ago. We feed the Premium Adult. I have fed my last two pups Euk LB Puppy when they come home and about two bags worth and then switch to Professional Pet Food LB Puppy (made by diamond). I don't like Diamond LB Puppy because it is Lamb based and I see no use for a Lamb diet unless you are trying to weed out dietary/allergy issues.

Something else to consider when looking at ingredients:

Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, egg product, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), rice bran

If you put the brown rice, barley, millet and rice bran together they would most likely outweigh the Lamb in this dog food.

Diamond brands makes formulas that are not Kirkland that are equally as good.
Professional Pet Food and Premium Edge. Premium Edge is probably closer to Kirkland? So if you feel Diamond is not high end enough for you and you don't have a Costco near you, those are some other options. Good quality and you won't go broke feeding it.

Regarding this page:
"http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/"

A National Review site showing me "1" review for each of the foods, is hardly a useful site for indicating the value of a food. :-)

I have used Kirkland Chicken and Rice (Made by Diamond)for many years now, and have had great success with it. However, what works for my dogs, may not be what works for another. I am not one to change foods easily.

Dian
View my welpcam at: www.blueknightlabs.com

I have no dogs that will eat lamb in any food much less vension. You also got to face the Fact not everyone lives where many brands of dog food is easily accesible.

Fortunetly I have a dealer 25 miles away that is a diamond dealer.But he can order me Natures Variety & Solid gold

which I know have 2 dogs on the NV Salmon and brown rice. I have only one dog who can not eat diamond. Because of terrible ears.

Costco (Kirkland) is almost exactly the same formulation as the Premium Edge which has no corn, wheat or soy in it. I used to special order the Premium Edge and a pet store rep told me to switch. It was much cheaper. I am thinking of switching back to it for everyone but the chicken sensitive dog who gets Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach.