Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wellness CORE

Just wondered if anyone has tried this food yet? I like the fact that it is grain free and has higher protien but does not have a super high fat content.
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/wellness/dog_wellness_grain_original.html

Re: Wellness CORE

Haven't been able to get the dog formulation here in Canada yet but the cat CORE is AMAZING!!!

My guy has been on it for about a month now, so far so good. I was a little hesitant on trying it because I had tried a Wellness product before, their sweet potato and fish, and had terrible results - he never firmed up on that food. Another thing that concerned me a bit was the multiple proteins - turkey, chicken and fish. I had tried Canidae many years ago and he did not do well on that food, pooped 6 times a day, dry coat, hot spots. But, he has done well on the Wellness Core.

He was doing well on his previous food, NB Potato and Duck, but then started developing mucousy stools. After testing negative on fecal tests, we treated him for colitis, but after treatment with meds, introducing pumpkin for high fiber, etc., having firm stools for a week at a time until he softened up again, my vet and I decided a food change was needed. At first I started out with Wellness Core reduced fat because of the higher fiber content, but now he is on the regular formula and has good poops.

Re: Re: Wellness CORE

Can you tell us what is wrong with grain ??

Re: Re: Re: Wellness CORE

Nothing is wrong with grain, I just have a old girl here that has started having seizures and was doing some reading on seizures and diet. The article suggested that the potatoe based diets were the best. A small excerpt here:

http://dogtorj.tripod.com/id5.html
For epilepsy, I follow the same progression as above if the seizures are mild or far apart and if the owner is reluctant to go straight to the potato-based diet. For severe seizures, the first choice is the IVD Duck and Potato (or their venison, fish or rabbit formulas). However, at this time, I have a number of dogs on th Nutro Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice, a number of the Nutro Lamb and Rice, and the rest on the IVD Duck and Potato. I have them avoid ALL commercial treats and give fruits and veggies as snacks.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Can you tell us what is wrong with grain ??

Found an interesting "compare and contrast" article for grain based diets and meat based diet discussion. http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/nutritioncomments.html
http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/contrast.html

Wow thanks for those articles they are excellent !!

Everyone needs to realize that that grains are not bad nor are they fillers like the one web site states which is completely wrong.

Also, please remember that anyone can type anything on the internet and it usually are opinions and not facts !!

Have a great day !!

Re: Re: Re: Wellness CORE

The other problem with grains that people dont' consider is that they have to be cooked and cooking is a very real problem that degrades the nutritional value of the food. This is why they have to stuff all the artificial vitamins and minerals back into the food after it is cooked and extruded (the bioavailability of which is questionable): the 'life' is sucked out of the food.

I don't want to turn this into a raw vs. kibble debate as it is not the point, but there is a reason why dogs are suddenly suffering from adult onset diabetes at an alarming rate and I'm sure there are a lot of other health problems associated with poor nutrition and it seems obvious to many that feeding grains to a carnivore may be at the heart of the problem.

Agriculture is a relatively new creation in the timeline and evolution of man. Humans have not had grains in their diet long enough for the GI tract to have evolved enough to sufficiently deal with them and dogs have had even less time. Grains may just be OK, but many people and scientists do think it unlikely and it may also depend on the quality of the grain (although the amino acids in a grain will never be complete for a dog).

Maybe somebody will do multi generation feed trails comparing grain-free to grain based kibbles and this will no longer be speculation. That might be something the dog food manufacturers would support

Why do you like the cat CORE? I have 1 cat that needs to take some weight off...

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Haven't been able to get the dog formulation here in Canada yet but the cat CORE is AMAZING!!!

I like the ingredients. Looks like a good food.

However this statement on the site:

Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes provide energy giving carbs, etc.......

I do not agree with. From what I have learned in my research dogs get their energy from fat not carbs (like humans do). The fat goes into the blood stream for energy (unlike humans where it usually goes on the hips LOL)

Dogs do utilize protein for muscle like humans.