Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog Laws in Each State

We are considering a move to another state.
How do you find out about dog ownership laws in the State and individual towns you are thinking about moving to?
I have looked at one town in Ohio and it took quite awhile to find out anything about number of dogs, etc.
Do not want to make the big move and then find out I cannot have my 9 dogs with me.
Not every site for State or town makes it easy and clear.
By the way, we are considering Ohio or Penna.
Any thoughts on either? I know that there have been discuissons about laws in both of these states, but they are where my husband's work will be taking him.

Re: Dog Laws in Each State

This is a start. http://www.pet-law.com/states.html

Contact the town hall for each muncipality and ask fthem to fax you all animal related ordinances.

Re: Re: Dog Laws in Each State

The best place I have found to gather information and get the TRUTH is from the county animal shelter. Talk to a warden and or the supervisor at the front desk.
Zoneing is the next place you should check. And then get copys of all the laws and zoneing regulations.
Hope this helps.
Kay

For PA, dog law comes under Dept. of Agriculture.

PA does have a puppy lemon law, so check to see if you might have to be state licensed and subject to selling uner lemon laws.

Dogs do have to be state licensed yearly, purchase from your county's Treasurer.

Yes, definitely check township ordinances and I would recommend going to the townshp building and doing the research personally, because in my experience, the zoning officer's change so often you can't count on what they tell you off the top of their head.... like the time one tried to tell me dogs were considered livestock, to which I pointed out that sheep, horses, ducks, cows, pigs are livestock, but dogs are domestic animals. He went and checked his "books" and came back and told me I was right. Funny thing is we are zoned "agricultural" anyway. So that is another thing, check to see if your land is zoned agricultural, ag/residential, or strictly residential.

If you are considering moving to either OH or PA, don't rule out WV. I live here , but am not from here, and the taxes and real estate are CONSIDERABLY lower than most states, and as far as I know, not much dog law rumbling going on...less than OH and PA. But, Gina knows the ins and outs about that better than I do right now.

As I look for a new home in NJ, I have been searching how many dogs I can have and kennel codes in each town:

http://www.e-codes.generalcode.com/globalsearch.asp

I am NOT moving to Glassboro that only allows two dogs by law

Re: Re: Dog Laws in Each State

Please do your own research. This comes from someone who spoke with dog officers, town officials, police, etc and still ended up spending a ton and moving due to dog laws. Go to the town hall and get the current book on town By-laws and Zoning. Get it in black and white, SERIOUSLY!

When we were contemplating a move I called AKC field Ops and asked to be put intouch with the field rep for that area/state. He returned our call and was very helpful in telling us where the dog 'pods' were in the general area we were considering as well as frozen semen facilities- he inspects those too you know!

Asking an animal control officer or a shelter worker could be setting yourself up for trouble. Those people are often so ANTI-breeder that they might tell you anything. Most state laws are online now: www.findlaw.com

If you are considering a rural or unincorporated area you may have much better luck. Check the county offices in that case particularly if there is no township law enforcement. For now West Virginia is pretty good but they have a few rogue legislators that have presented some wacky bills. I am on the West Virginia, PA and Ohio (which is useless) email lists.

If you are looking to move to a particular place contact the large local all breed club and ask them. They may have a legislative liaison. Some larger incorporated townships in suburban areas may have their ordinances online. Also don't forget to check zoning ordinances as well. You may need builders permits for fencing, sheds, kennel runs etc.

PA has high taxes and crappy infrastructure. It's not as bad in the more rural areas.

Subscribe to a high traffic dog elist like Showdogs-L and ask around.

A really good resource to contact would be a local insurance agent who sells homeowner's policies. They are required per licensing standards to have information about legislation and how it applies specifically to dog ownership. They would more than likely also be able to tell you how some of the laws and covenants have been applied in that area in the past. My agent gave me some very good advice.

Best of luck to you in your upcoming move

How about getting advice from the realtor or better yet, a local real estate attorney?