Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Females in season smell

OK I have a question for you all. I am new to the girls and my lady has been in season a couple of times now. She has a distinct 'smell' about her while she is menstruating. It's not horrid, but not pleasant either. Well she is due in a couple of weeks and there is a nasty odor in the room she sleeps and plays in alot (due to the hot/ humid weather. )
There is a brand new air filter and a brand new air conditioner in there. We put them both in about a mos ago and have had no problems. All of a sudden this morning this odor appeared. I have wiped down all the woodwork and furniture with Murphy's Oil Soap, vacuumed and scrubbed the floors. Changed the filters on both new machines, and opened the windows... As soon as I close the room up again, YIKES!!! I can't describe the smell as I have never smelled it before. It doesn't smell like her normal heat cycles, though a few days ago it did. Could it possibly be that she is due soon??? Any ideas??? I am totally at a loss.

Re: Females in season smell

It's not an infection of some sort is it? Mine don't have a smell like that. Do others in your family smell it also? some are just more sensitive.

Re: Re: Females in season smell

Is she acting normal? If not, take her to the vet in case it is pyometri (sp)

Re: Re: Re: Females in season smell

I have one girl who just plain stinks when she is in season. Healthy and happy...just stinky

Re: Re: Re: Re: Females in season smell

I can always tell when my girls are in season too, besides the obvious, mine have a distinct "in season" odor.

My girl gets a small odor and greasy skin just prior to every heat and I will bathe her when she gets this odor and then the smell stays away until her next heat.

First of all, bitches do not have menstrual cycles...only primates have these. Bitches have estrus cycles which are vastly different.
Some bitches have a distinctive odor associated with their cycle. You have to determine if this is normal for her or if the odor may be indicative of another issue.

Bitches have estrus cycles which are vastly different.

Yes, that is what I meant to write... Well I was pretty sure it was not her. I gave her a good look over yesterday and she does not smell at all, her behavior is completely normal as well. So I decided to investigate the room further. We have a throw rug in the middle of the room, and I hadn't thought to smell it because it was dry, and there were no marks on the wood floor underneath it when I vaccumed. However upon getting closer to the floor with my nose- the culprit was found UGH!!!!!! I wonder if my daughter spilled something a while ago and the smell was just starting to come out now..... Oh well, washed the floors, ditched the rug, and viola- no smell...
Thank goodness my lady doesn't smell like THAT! Thanks for the replies. Yes she does have a smell all of her own when she does come in. But not that smell.

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. There seemed to be some odor coming out of our bedroom closet. It also seemed to be getting worse by the day. Our cat likes to sleep in our closet, so the first thing that came to mind was that she had caught a mouse and left it there for us. Yuck. So, we started to pull everything out of the closet (yes, all my shoes had to be pulled out first, and of course, my husband made a few comments on how many shoes I had tucked in there). While I was kneeling over taking everything out - I noticed a very strong smell about half way up in the hanging clothes. My nose was about pocket level and low and behold - there were 2 jackets that I had worn to shows that still had bait in them!! So bad! I took them out and onto the porch. Hot dogs that looked liked little smoked sausage and I can't tell you how bad the other misc. stuff was. Mystery solved - I really need to dump those pockets before putting them away!!!

there were 2 jackets that I had worn to shows that still had bait in them!! So bad! I took them out and onto the porch. Hot dogs that looked liked little smoked sausage and I can't tell you how bad the other misc. stuff was. Mystery solved

LOL Mel:
Thanks for the laugh! Yup I have done that before! YUCK!!!!!! Have a great day!

Re: Re: Re: Females in season smell

HA!
I know just what those old hot dogs look like, but not from bait, from my 4 year old who likes to steal them out of the fridge and then carefully "places" them in a safe place. His idea of a safe place happens to be in the drawer next to his bed!
Annie