Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Preliminary Xrays

Can someone tell me why they do prelim.s? If OFA can't do clearances until 2 what is the reasoning behind doing prelims? I am looking for advice from those that do them. Thanks

Re: Preliminary Xrays

stud dogs can be used before the age of 2, showing is expensive and we need an insight to the development of joints. What IF a bitch is going to have pups at 23 months of age? She needs clearance too. Numerous reasons. 2 years is a long time to wait and see. We need to know prior. Pre Lims are 90-95% accurate pending you do them 10-12 months of age. (my experience)

I do agility with my dogs so I pre-lim at a year before doing any jumping or more advanced training.

Re: Re: Preliminary Xrays

I usually do prelims around 1-1.5 years old on dogs I want to keep for my breeding progam. Field training is time-consuming and expensive, so if a dog doesn't look sound, I don't want to invest the time and money and will place in a pet home.

I haven't had one yet that wasn't sound, but it is an inexpensive precaution. I don't submit to OFA, just review with my doc (hips and elbows).

MK

Re: Re: Preliminary Xrays AGREE TOTALLY

another breeder wrote...stud dogs can be used before the age of 2, showing is expensive and we need an insight to the development of joints. What IF a bitch is going to have pups at 23 months of age? She needs clearance too. Numerous reasons. 2 years is a long time to wait and see. We need to know prior. Pre Lims are 90-95% accurate pending you do them 10-12 months of age. (my experience)

I x-ray at 8 months, hips and elbows, on average. I have found excellent consistency with finals. I do this for previous reasons stated............... run on or not as well as training requirements for working. If a dog has no sockets at 8 months, they never will. I seem to find the bone structure will be consistent, just laxity may vary. I have x-rayed girls in season who OFA good, have x-rayed after pups are 6 weeks, OFA Good...........I know that the bloodline I stick with is consistent. Fortunate, I know.

Re: Re: Preliminary Xrays

It's nice to know the reasons others PRELIM but I just don't like the idea of breeding on prelims. I guess you know your lines, but I have seen people burned with dogs where they got their pup out of a litter done on the sire's prelims, he never cleared at 2 years of age, and the pup at 2 didn't pass. Why is everyone in such a rush to beat the 2 year mark.

I understand about doing them to decide whether the dog should be kept in your breeding program etc, but why the rush to breed before 2?