Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
So you call yourself a "hobby" breeder...

This discussion of pricing pups and making no money seems to come up fairly frequently. Last weekend I went to a car show and thought how fortunate I was to have a hobby where I can enjoy a living being. I'm sure these classic car buffs enjoy their hobby but it didn't look like much fun to me as they sat all day in the burning sun next to their cars. Why do we expect to make *any* money on a hobby? I don't see any of those cars producing little cars to be sold! :)
It's ok if I break even (or not) and get a pup for myself to show. Honestly I want most for the other pups to have loving homes.
Usually you don't make money on your hobby. A few come to mind.
Quilting (most given as gifts and take many hours to make)
racing -boats/cars
reading
running
fishing
photography
sailing
Well...you get the idea.

Re: So you call yourself a "hobby" breeder...

never have and wont understand why people R so concerned about what someone else is doing. Just be concerned breeding practises are top of the line and being doing properly.

If no one is concerned with what others are doing why even get on this or any other forums or go to shows and see other dogs or read any publications or newspapers. I am always interested in what others are doing.

Re: Re: So you call yourself a "hobby" breeder...

There are money making ventures in all the hobbies you list. Was amazed at how much money could be made by fishing all day! I think we all would like if we could make enough money to cover our hobby expenses or be thrilled to death if we could support ourselves by working with our dogs all day.

"just me", You are correct!! I meant with respect to what a breeder charges for their pups. Poor choice of words, sorry. I completely agree with your post.

Webster defines a HOBBY as: 1. a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for pleasure and not as a main occupation.

So, if you show your dogs (thus participate in a hobby for entertainment purposes b/c we all know you are not going to profit off of showing a dog) and breed with the purpose of keeping a puppy to show then you are a hobby breeder.

The IRS defines a hobby breeder similarly (of course it is much more complicated).

I believe the AKC defines a hobby breeder as one that sells less than 25 dogs/puppies per year and whelps and raises litter on their own property and has less than 6 litters per year.

By definition most of us are hobbyists. :)

6 litters or less than 25 pups is a VERY big gap....
I do less than 6 litters, but more than 25 puppies...

Re: Re: Re: So you call yourself a "hobby" breeder...

Yep, big gap. You know ... the 25 may apply to grown dogs?? Or 6 litters per year... don't know.

Re: Re: Re: Re: So you call yourself a "hobby" breeder...

If I raised 6 litters per year and the way my girls are that would be 50 to 60 puppies per year.