Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA's after a litter

I have a female who was accidentally bred just before her secondbirthday. She had prelims (excellent) at 18 months however, her litter is almost 8 weeks old and I am going to get her OFA’d as soon as feasible. How long after a litter would you wait before x-raying?

Re: OFA's after a litter

I'd ask the vet or orth. vet that you are going to use. I guess if you use the pre-lim results for this litter - why not wait another month or two?

I wouldn't worry about it as her hips were OFA excellent at 18 months. Do you have her elbows as normal from OFA ? As far as puppy buyers go, as long as you have the parents current eye cerf and prelims on hips and elbows, maybe heart clearances ???

I want to get her OFA certified for future breedings. Her elbows were normal. Thank you

and PRA testing, dont forget

She is optigen A by parentage, both parents are optigen A1 She has been CERF'd and is going to be CERF'd again in a few weeks. Can anyone tell what is a good time frame to wait after a litter to have her hips x-rayed? Thank you!

Re: Re: OFA's after a litter

when pups are 16-20 weeks of age (4-5 months old)

I agree with 4-5 months after the birth of the litter, but make sure she's not within a month of coming back into season. If she is, wait until 30 days after her heat cycle.

What?! If you do xrays 4-5 months after a litter is born, um hello, she will be IN HEAT!!!!

Re: Re: Re: OFA's after a litter

LMAOOOO WHOOPS.... 16-20 weeks of age

TWO TO THREE months of age

THANK YOU

Re: Re: Re: Re: OFA's after a litter

laughing so hard I can't type or think

sheesh, another whoops

you know what i mean

when the pups are 16-20 weeks of age, leave it at that. LOLOLOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OFA's after a litter

I hate to point it out but 16 weeks is the same as 4 months and when a litter is 4 months of age, a bitch on a normal 6 month cycle will be in heat.
I wouldn't advise xraying while she is in heat any more than xraying right after whelping...tough call...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: OFA's after a litter

Oopsie, I wouldn't worry about getting your girl in to get her final hips and elbows done with trying to sandwhich it in between her coming into her next heat. Just let her have her heat cycle which would be when her pups are 4 to 5 months old depending on her girls' heaet cycles. Then you will have a good 4 to 5 months to get her final hips and elbows radiographed.
With an Excellent from OFA and normal elbows at 18 months old, you should be able to feel comfortable in knowing your girl's joints are A-Ok.

Here's what OFA web site says

"Can I have my female radiographed while she is in season, pregnant, or nursing?

Some female dogs exhibit additional subluxation when radiographed during these times. The OFA recommends radiographing three to four weeks before or after the heat cycle, and three to four weeks after weaning a litter of puppies."

Note that it says 3-4 WEEKS after weaning, not months.

MK

I would give her at least another month. Somewhere in between being weaned off this litter and her next season is when I'd do it.

If she isn't one that heat affects the results you would be fine to do it now. Not all dogs are affected on their xrays at heat cycles. I did one of our girls when the puppies were 6 weeks old- came back excellent, prelimed at excellent. I wanted the final results for the puppy buyers to have at 8 week pick up. I also have a girl that is affected when she is in heat. Her films looked awful until we got her mid cycle, so it is an individual dog issue/ Why do they always come in heat for their 2 year birthday!!!

2 to 3 months, not before then.

Re: Re: Re: OFA's after a litter

She could be going into her next season early at 4 to 5 months. Ideally, 3 months after the litter is whelped, JMO

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

when pups are 16-20 weeks of age (4-5 months old)

DITTO