Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
classes when you have a pg bitch at home

Do you continue with obedience and conformation classes with puppies and adults (not the pg one)?

Re: classes when you have a pg bitch at home

I don't....maybe I am neurotic.....but I am too afraid of bringing something home !!

Re: Re: classes when you have a pg bitch at home

I don't either. No classes, no shows. My dogs stopped going to the dog park, also.

Donna

Nope, me either. I don't even allow visitors to the kennel when I have a bitch in whelp. Too much invested in the litter to take any careless chances.

I do, but I take precautions - "show dogs" stay out in the kennel (heated/cooled/indoor-outdoor) and can't come in the house for 2 weeks after a show if there's a pg bitch or a litter in the house. I take a shower the minute I get home, change shoes between kennel and home, bleach said shoes upon returning home, etc...

Also, I'm not so sure that completely isolating a pg bitch/litter totally from the outside world is the best thing for them as their immune system isn't challenged at all. Kind of like kids who grow up without pets in the home - they are much more likely to have asthma and other immune issues than kids who lived with dogs/cats/pets...

Years ago, I would keep my pregnant bitch at home, but would go to classes with other dogs and go to shows, taking some precaution to clean up when I got home.
Then I had a couple of pregnant bitches that were "herpes negative" and I kept all of the dogs home for 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after the litter was born.
There is still some controversy regarding herpes and how it "erupts". Even the vets are not sure how to advise in all cases. It is difficult to keep everyone home for weeks at a time. I guess if there is some event that is important, you take the precautions to make it work.

I have always continued on as normal. I still go to classes and shows(if there are any close). I have never had any problems and either have any of my other trainer/breeder friends.

I continue with all the Lab relative sports. Just be very careful to clean up a little when you get home. All the dog supplys stay out in the building for a while. Shoes in clorox, cloths in washer first thing. The usual things.

Probably a different situation for people who have litters regularly. For those of us who rarely have a litter, when we finally do have one we are maybe more protective and paranoid. Also if you have lived through an outbreak of something and lost a litter you are going to be more careful as well.

I loved Patty's (Streufert)response! Now I know I'm not the only one neurotic about "my babies". I do all the same things, with the exception of the bleach...I use Rocal instead...easier on clothes/shoes and kills more!

Best,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

I was just thinking that with just the regular stuff that comes up in life, it's hard to juggle family/dogs/training/shows...yet we all do it. Throw in a pregnant mom or mom and pups, I don't think I COULD leave the house even if I wanted to....too much work! HA HA

I am also very careful and what I call neurotic about exposing a bitch in whelp or a litter to anything. Bleach for the shoes that are taken off at the door and more.

What about the breeders that take their bitches in whelp to shows? Aren't they taking a huge chance? I actually know the answer to the question, what my opinion is. I just don't understand taking a chance like that.

I was neurotic with my first litter. They all did fine. Then as my dog numbers went up, I got less neurotic. The pups have all been fine. I go places often enough now with the dogs that I figure everyone has been exposed to everything already. I take some reasonable precautions - I avoid the dogs in the waiting room if I go in for an x-ray. I don't take the pups anywhere before their first shots if it can be helped. I've taken pregnant bitches all kinds of places - just kept them relatively isolated from the riff raff. I wash my hands and take off my shoes at the door, but I do that anyway even when I don't have pups. My kids go to work and school and come back with friends who play with the puppies.