Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Why there are so many dogs in shelters!

This is why people go to pet stores and crappy breeders.

http://www.bakelblog.com/nobodys_business/2007/05/the_nannies_of_.html

Re: Why there are so many dogs in shelters!

Unfortunately, some organizations don't want to adopt to families with young children because of legal implications. Most dogs are strays, and their background with children is unknown.
If the blogger had actually mentioned to the shelter worker that the dog was "for the kids," which is not something he mentioned in the post, then I understand why the worker was hesitant to adopt to them if the kids were uninterested. A lot of dogs are given up because parents adopt them for the kids, who may have mentioned wanting a dog at some point, and the kids lose interest. We may not have the full story. I showed a foster dog to a family in which the mother barely touched the dog, the kids went into another room to play with toys and ignored the dog, and the father showed up late. He never petted the dog or acknowledged it in any way. I was left wondering who the heck in that family wanted a dog in the first place. Later that day, he met a family in which the couple got down on the floor with him right away, rubbing his tummy and talking sweetly to him. They got the dog.
The whole process can sometimes be infuriating with some organizations. I have seen perfectly good applicants get turned away from some groups. But, they can always move on to another more reasonable organization. And there are plenty of reasonable shelters and rescues. But, I have definitely sensed in some shelters that they treat those of us who come into their facilities as criminals until we manage to change their minds. I think that they see so much bad in humans in their line of work that they tend to be a bit jaded. And, this is how I was treated until they realized that the rescue for whom I was volunteering was actually going to help them.