Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Will hair grow back after loss from severe staff infection??

I have a beatiful black female pet pup that came up suddenly with a bad staff infection at 10 weeks of age. She is on medication and slowly improving, however durign the first week of her illness she was very sore, didn't want to move, her ears and glands on her neck were swollen and she lost hair aruond her ears mussle and throat. She is feeling much better now and the swelling is all down, but my concern is, will her hair every grow back in. Right now she looks like a mutt from a horror flick, but sweet as pie. Any thoughts suggestions or prior experiences? FYI: the vet said he didn't know for sure. It may grow back or may not.

Re: Will hair grow back after loss from severe staff infection??

Did she have puppy strangles? I've seen some puppies lose alot of hair and eventually get it back. Lets hope that's the case with your little pup!

I had a pup with staph at about 8 months of age. Her hair did grow back and by 2 1/2 years of age she had coat that I never thought she'd have. I'm not sure if the lack of good coat until 2 1/2 years had anything to do with the staph or not, but at 5 1/2 she's still got that great coat.

Good luck with your pup.

Aloha,
Kim

i've had a dog with severe staph and yes, they do grow back, the horrible flaking and black skin does resolve and hair will grow back - mine had a cephalexin resistant staph and it took a month and a half on tetracycline (one of the drugs that the culture showed it to be susceptable to) to get rid of the infection and almost like magic, the hair started to grow back.. the coat isn't wonderful yet, but the improvement is terrific..

patience, time and patience

barb

Thanks eveyone for your imput and experience. I'll keep my fingers crossed and be patient. :)