Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment

How long does it take not to be considered a Newbie? Or what does it take, not to be called a Newbie?

Re: Newbie

I think, Lynn, that is something you can only determine yourself. I considered myself a Newbie for quite some time. I guess after I had experienced both winning and losing in the ring , whelping by myself and doing pretty well after 5 or more litters, dealt with OCD, hip dysplasia, early death of a young dog, various bouts of either coccidia, campylobacter, kennel cough, and God knows what else....I said to myself "Hey, I've survived and still want to do what I do with my dogs!!" " I can handle this, enjoy it and am confidant that I may have just learned a thing or two in the past 10 years!!."

So, I think when I felt a certain satisfaction with what I had overcome and what I saw now in my kennel I considered myself past the newbie stage. I don't know what to call this stage I'm in now, but I sure like it!! And, I know where I'm going!!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Newbie

Thank you, just past Newbie. I guess if you make it thru all that stuff, bad and good and still love what you're doing, you have arrived, at, just past Newbie, you have graduated, then onward and upward to being an Oldie. I guess its all about experience, what you learn and can pass on to others to learn. I'm so proud of being part of the Lab community. To be in the company of some of the best dogs, owners, breeders, handlers when you are in the show ring, gives me a rush. Where else can a newbie compete against the best?

I think if you make it past the 5-8 year washout point you aren't a newbie anymore. That is the typical time when those faint of heart throw up their hands and walk away from the sport.

I think the next stage is called being a Tweenie. You have earned a spot ringside, but have not had big wins,or earned wins. There is a difference. Lucky starts do not make you a Tweenie.