Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Constantly chewing feet???

I had my dog at the beach last week and he seems to have gotten itchy feet. He is chewing on them so much that he leaves a wet spot. Is there anything you can put on his paws to stop the itch that wouldn't be dangerous when he licks them

Re: Constantly chewing feet???

Sounds like a potential allergy or infection. Sometiems when they lick so much, they area stays damp and is a breeding ground for infections. I would suggest running the dog to the vet to check for a possible yeast infection as a secondary reaction to licking/allergy.

Re: Re: Constantly chewing feet???

I agree with you Ron...

clean feet well. try benadryl.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I had my dog at the beach last week and he seems to have gotten itchy feet. He is chewing on them so much that he leaves a wet spot. Is there anything you can put on his paws to stop the itch that wouldn't be dangerous when he licks them

Re: Re: Constantly chewing feet???

Try cleaning and soaking them in Iodine Shampoo.

Re: Re: Re: Constantly chewing feet???

Breeder I agree with you on soaking the feet. I also wonder if the dog was bitten by sand fleas?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Constantly chewing feet???

I would clean them with Betadine.
Would sand fleas bite on the feet but nowhere else?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Constantly chewing feet???

probably interdigital dermatitiis caused by the irritation of the sand. Use shampoo to wash--antifungal & antibacterial if you can find some. Lather well 1-2 times a day, leave on for 5-10 min., rinse well and dry. Apply medicated powder.

Thanks for your replies . I'm going to start with the washing & soaking today .