Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reproduction, AI, dogs from the streets

I am from a third world country.

As all of you may know, in the third world countries there are a lot, I mean a lo of street dogs.

I am not a breeder, I have to bitches, the first time I try to get her pregnant, I did all the tests, blood, semen, etc.. the result.... nothing.

But I see the dogs on the streets and they are studs, one of those dogs jumped or climbed a wall, and mean a wall, to get to my neighbors bitch, 10 minutes with her, 60 days later 12 puppies, how can that be possible!!!!!!

In one hand you have all this big, strong beautifu, pure breed studs that you helped them to get a bitch pregnant, or AI, they all have a lot of studies, x rays, etc.. But they dont know how to breed. And in the other hand a street dog, skinny, no food, no vaccines, a cross from 100 breeds and only needed 5 minutes and there he goes.

The street bitches also, allways get pregnant, in this case i think she gets breed by a lot of dogs, but she doesnt need help with the puppies, she doesnt have a lamp to be warm, no special bed, just there in a corner, she whelped alone, no help, no nothing, and all the puppies survive and live.

Am I missing something here?, are we doing something to the pure breeds that can not do anything by themselves?

I just want to learn about what I wrote, please the langauge experts dont start a fight becasue I dont write english as you experts do.

Thank you

Re: Reproduction, AI, dogs from the streets

You've made an excellent point. We have made things so artificial there is a whole new set of problems to deal with. The street dogs are showing us how it is done naturally and how well it works. I feel bad to hear there are so many without homes and hungry yet still producing more and more unwanted puppies. It's sad, but it's the animal kingdom that obviously we humans don't really understand. I feel we carry things too far, many of the problems that are labeled genetic we could probably fix if dogs were raised how they would live in the wild. We are expecting an awful lot from our purebred dogs and we are seeing the results, as well as large vet bills.

Actually I totally agree with what your saying.
Which I was thinking of posting something similar to this.And I will soon.

Re: Re: Reproduction, AI, dogs from the streets

I agree as well. They are too spoiled. We try
to change mother nature but it is not working.

We go to extremes with feedng, crating, housing,
showing, testing, spoiling,breedings from tubes,
etc.

I do natural breedings as often as possible, and by that I mean as oppsed to AI, not just whenever their in season. I only do an IA if I feel it best for health reasons, or when doing a long distance breeding. My feelings are if they physically can't or won't breed it naturaly, that is a severe falt. I wouldn't breed artifically that wounl't do it naturally, just as I wouldn't breed a dog with HD, or a personality flaw, etc. The only exception may be if it was first breeding and the male lacked experience I would do an AI and give him another chance.

The same goes for bitches with C-sections. One is okay, but if she always has a problem delivering, she shouldn't be bred and be allowed to pass on repro or birthing problems.

When I buy a new pup from another breeder, I want to know if that dog was bred naturaly and whelped naturally, if not I want to know the circumstances.

The problem we all have as breeders of purebreds is, there are no perfect dogs. They will all have their faults. As long as we don't pass on the same faults over and over again, or make them worse, we just have to accpet them as nature's imperfections. These are animals, not peices of technologly we can easily perfect with a little tweeking.

Well, you're going to find out that most breeders with valuable stud dogs won't do a natural breeding, even if both stud dog and bitch are present on-site. They've most likely dealt with infertility issues with previous stud dogs and decided it wasn't worth the risk. So insisting on natural breedings won't work if you're thinking about breeding to most top stud dogs out there, even if you take the bitch to him.

I live in California and I don't know too many stud dog owners that do natural breedings for the reasons Patty stated. Bitch owners in California understand this, and expect it when breeding to a stud, and I am surprised this is not the case elsewhere. With a valuable stud dog, it is not worth the risk of permanently damaging the sperm factory with disease or injury. I'm not talking about Joe Blow un-neutered yellow lab down the street that the pet owner wants to use as a stud dog!
I remember a well-known stud dog owner years ago telling me that it was not natural for a dog to be bred 100 times a year, and that his famous stud had gone sterile from an incurable infection. My mentor also had a dog with an nasty bladder infection, most likely from a breeding, that ascended into his testes and made him sterile. It's just not worth it, IMO. And I don't really think that not allowing dogs to breed naturally passes on to future generations--that's Lamarquian theory, which has been proven false!! The Darwin way takes lots, lots longer, but the way these restrictive dog-breeding bills are being crammed down people's throats, these types of breeding issues may be a moot point in the future!

You never see the bitches who don't take, or who abort, or who resorb their pups, or who die in delivery, etc. You only see the successes. Who's to say that there are fewer problems with street dogs? You can never know for sure.