Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pup boarding --do you charge?

Do any of you charge your puppy buyers board if they buy a pup but want to leave it with you for a week or more prior to pick up while they vacation? I have 2 pups here that I sold at 8 weeks but the buyers wanted to leave for a vacation for 3 weeks and it's costing me lots in food and I even have given more shots. I have been having this happen a lot and just wondered what every one else is doing?

Re: pup boarding --do you charge?

I don't charge to keep it a week or so past the pick up time but I do charge if it comes back at any time in the future.

I usually keep a pup and it's nice for the separation to be gradual.

Not that I have so many pups out there ... but I do offer to watch them for free. I have had a few (5 over the years)take me up on it ... one for 4 weeks.
The owners bring food etc. If the pups have to go to a vet while under my care (it has happened) ... they go to my vet. The owner's pay the vet.

To date I have never charged. Perhaps I am silly, but I really don't mind seeing the 'pups' again. AND perhaps I have been lucky not to have any issues handling it this way.

And now re-reading your post ... I had this extact scenario my first litter. I did not charge for boarding either, but all shots/vet visits were charged to the puppies owner.

Re: Re: pup boarding --do you charge?

I've never charged to take care of one of my "pups" for a few days. I don't mind, especially if they're young. I wouldn't want them to be boarded at a young age. It's fun to have them around. The people usually bring me something from their vacation. Again, I don't breed often so it doesn't happen often. But I'm always happy to do it for free.

I've held pups as long as 4 weeks. I consider them "my" pups anyway and would never charge the client for anything. Not even an extra booster considering we can get those from Revival for what works out to a couple of bucks each. They do pay in full at the time the litter is going home. This happens during the summer more often due to summer vacations.

I keep them for a week or so free, then after that time I let them decide how much to pay, seems to work well. I also do take care of any puppies that leave here over the years when people go on vactions, most go every year, and same deal let it up to them as to how much they want to pay, they feel comfortable leaving them here and know they will be cared for. I do not watch dogs for anyone but puppy buyers.

We'll watch very young pups for free for a short stay...but once adult...they pay 30/day but dog gets treated very well. Lots of playtime & spacious room with cushioned beds....kennels around here who offer the same quality of care cost 40-45/day...so 30 is a bargain!

In your situation I don't charge as i am happy to have found their forever homes even if it means keeping them a few extra weeks.

However, after the pup goes home and they need to board with me in the future (which I offer to all my buyers) I charge a daily fee.

Free for up to 10 days after the rest of the litter goes home, after that I sometimes charge $10 a day (depending on the situation) and supply everything needed including extended love and housebreaking. It's a token charge. By 9 to 10 weeks it's time for the pup to go home usually.

I have had this situation several times. I feel if I am taking a puppy back or keeping it more than a week longer while the new owners go on vacation, I charge $10/day. This covers food, if a vaccine is needed, and basic care. I feel this is very reasonable, as it is an added responsibity to safekeep someone else's pup, and I would much rather have the puppy with me than in a boarding facility.
Because we live in a litigeous society, I have learned to think about things like liability, and have come up with a simple agreement that the new owners sign that says I am not liable if the puppy gets sick or injured, and that I will take the puppy to the veterinarian of my choice. That's where the additional responsibility comes in, to provide a safe, clean, disease free environment. That being said, stuff happens in the real world, and it's always a good idea to protect yourself!

I never charge to keep them longer than needed, that's part of being a breeder, it's not about the money!
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: pup boarding --do you charge? I agree Robin!

I agree with you Robin. I have made up a small contract and from now on any buyer that wants me to keep their pup longer than 7 days will have to pay a nominal fee.
People even nice people will impose if they know they can. Having said that if they were going to place my pup in a kennel instead of paying me 10 bucks a day I'd do it for free.
TY

I almost always have more potential buyers than puppies. So, when I have a family I like a great deal, I am happy to hold a pup a while longer. My objective is to give my pups the best homes possible and if that meaans accomodating a famly, I am glad to do so. I never charge a penny extra.

Yes...I do charge if the pup is over 6 months, under that $5 day as it states in my contract that they can not be boarded in a "public kennel" before that age. It's all part of owning a puppy/dog. 3 weeks is a long time to keep a puppy for free. No flames please, just the way I do things here.

I offered to care for a pup out of a prior litter while the owners went on a cruise for a week.
I LOVED seeing him and even though I never asked for a cent, the owners gave me a card when they came back with 100$ in it!
I make a point of telling new pup people I am happy to pup sit any time they need as long as I dont have a litter in the house or something else that would interfere. What a wonderful way to get to see them, and the ones that surprise you with a cash gift every now and then make it all even out in the end.

As for pups who have not yet gone home, I wouldn't charge either, but I would charge for extra shots and treatments they would have had to do on their own...only fair.
Whats one more puppy mouth to feed when you get extra cuddle time?
Annie

Re: Re: Re: pup boarding --do you charge?

If a new family is going on vacation within the month I had rather just keep the pup for them. Going off and coming back is not real safe for them or your own crew. I would not charge if they have not left, like someone said they are still my pups. If they needed shots during this time they pay for that. Later, 6 mos or older yes we charge. They are work and have a great safe stay here with us. Much better than going to board at a vet or big kennel. I keep alot of pups or older, some have been coming for 12 years. They are thrilled to pay a little and have them in a good place.