Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
dad or son

If you like a lot a dog would you breed to him or to his sire and why, because I would be breed my girl next season and I'm a bit confused.
thank you

Re: dad or son

Well, after years of "experimenting". Take a look at the son and the dad, what does son's dam offer?

That is really the difference. If the son's dam is outstanding and compliments your girl or your lines, then go there.

Also, son may bring more to the party.

As we said, doing it both ways, Son (if he has a nice bitch line) brings more punch to the breeding.

When I first got into Labs, I remember a very influential stud dog being advertised with a slogan that went something like, "Like his get, go to the source."

It was so true as this boy produce so nicely with a variety of different bitches, it just made sense to use him. If the stud dog is prepotent for producing what you need, I would definitely go to him!

Dianne

Re: Re: dad or son

I ditto what Dianne said, look what the father has produced and if it's all good go to the source but make sure it's not coming from the Dam.
Aloha,
Jackie

There are many lovely dogs, but very few great producers. Do your research to see who is consistently producing well.

Many (not all) long time breeders will tell you to go to the Dad saying 'why break what isn't broken.' That can be true but you're also looking at clearances on the stud and your bitch, Optigen, Cardiac, temperament in the show ring and any conformation issues. Have you been hands on either stud dog yet or seen both boys shown watching their movement?

You want well balanced, healthy pups to choose from. If Dad is great and has all you need I would try him first. If he's lacking something the son has then try the son. Use common sense and speak to the owners of both for some input. You are admiring both close lines so neither should feel put out that you're considering both.

Re: Re: dad or son

One thing to consider is the dad may not be around as long. You could use dad, continue watching son and use him in another year or so.

Here's another twist on that question that I have been wondering about myself. Say you really love a bitch. Would you breed to her father, her son , or her litter brother?

Peggy, that's a great question! Well, you know the father of the bitch shares half of the same genes, and the son of the bitch shares half of the bitch's genes, but the litter brother - someone verify me on this - might share anywhere between 1/4 and 3/4 of the same genes? My head is spinning!

I would look at the sire and dam and see where most of what this bitch has - came from each or either of them. If the sire is continuing to produce like this bitch that you like - then I would go with her sire. If the dam is the one with the look and genes that you like, then go with the male littermate, and if he is already producing - that would be reinforcement. Otherwise, if she does have a son that is producing better than his uncle - that would be my third choice. This is assuming that all the health clearances are good.

Depends on what conformation type you're looking for