Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cleaning out the tubes???

If a dog hasn't been used for a while, and is going to be used, is it good to collect him ahead of time to clean things out first?

If so, is it too late to do so if he is going to be collected and used, say within one day??

This would not be an old dog, btw.

Re: Cleaning out the tubes???

Any stud dog should have his tubes cleaned out as you call it every month or two if not in use. I don't know about one day prior but if 2 or more I would collect him once before usage.

When was he last used or collected?

I collected my boy for shipment, he had not been collected in many many many months.

The collection looked fine, and the bitch owner was more than pleased with her litter of 13 puppies.

ONE SHIPMENT - 13 puppies - no pre-cleaning.

Old wives' tails are not 100% accurate.

I'll collect my boy when I get notice an intended Bitch is in heat. I collect maybe two times and rest himm till he's called to duty.

My guy is not used reall offten but a few times a year but he's also not a spring chicken anymore. He's 7 years old.

Regarless of wives tail or not I'd rather collect and know his goods are fresh.

If you only have a day to spare I'd say your a bit late.

Re: Re: Cleaning out the tubes???

Just for the record, I collected 5 year old virgin male, to see if he was viable, for a possible sale to another country. His sperm was all but jumping off the slide. I was quite surprised. Each dog is different.

Re: Re: Re: Cleaning out the tubes???

Yes I must admit I can never quite get my head around "cleaning the pipes" so to speak. I have never done it and when I know the boy is going to be collected to be frozen I don't do anything, every time he is collected he has sperm to spare very fertile are the words my vet used. Never done it and never will why waste the goods.

It's an old adolescent boy's wishful tale, translated into dogs. I'm wondering - if you do it to the dog and he enjoys it, is that bestiality? Would hate to get caught by the HSUS doing with my stud dog.