Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fussy Labrador won't eat

We have a 4 month old female pup that won't eat. She will gobble down some and then be done. She is currently being fed 3 x's a day, 1 1/2 cups each meal. We have tried changing food (as per breeders instruction) that works for a few days then back to no eating. I have to get down on the floor and feed her by hand. We have tried hamburger on top and she just plows through the hamburger and then stops.
This girl is active, playful and full of spunk. Her stools are normal. We started her on digestive enzymes and still no change.
We have two other labs and they never had a problem with eating. We are at a loss and would really appreciate some input. Would you take her to the vet to have some blood work?? Looking forward to your responses.

Re: fussy Labrador won't eat

Is she spoiled? If she's looking and acting normal...she'll eat when she's hungry.

Re: Re: fussy Labrador won't eat

Well she is our pet, so yes we do spoil her. I just wanted to add that we have tried feeding in the crate and she won't touch it. She just sits there. She sleeps in a crate at night, but hangs out in our house during the day with our other dogs.

Re: Re: Re: fussy Labrador won't eat

Sounds like she is not getting enough exercise.
If she is in a crate all night and in the house
most of the day, she cannot exercise enough for
a puppy to build up her normal appetite.
JMO

Don't exercise her too close to any meals, fear of bloat but she does need some yard or leash exercise.

I would pick up her food when she's done. Try that at each meal for a couple of days. You might find she eats more per meal after seeing it's not going to lay there waiting for her to come back. You could also try smaller meals 4 times daily for a short time. She's eating fast, maybe too fast and her belly feels full. I wouldn't continually change her food.

Does she look thin (you don't want her to be as rolly polly as she was at 8 weeks) and is she gaining appropriately? You could stop at your vet's office to weigh her once a week without a charge and double check that.

Nothing wrong with spoiling her some as your pet. Breeders do also

Re: Re: Re: Re: fussy Labrador won't eat

Do you soak her food? Her mouth could be sore from teething. Try soaking her food in some warm water or low fat chick broth for about 15 minutes before you feed her....Just a thought.

Re: Re: Re: fussy Labrador won't eat

I didn't mean anything by it...I had a GSD that was the same way..I had spoiled her by hand feeding her and putting tid bits on her food..in the end her butt was as wide as refrigerator and I didn't think she was eating. No hard feelings..and if it sounded like I was being smart I am sorry.

Sounds like she's trying to train you. 4.5 cups a day of food seems like a lot for a female pup her age. I would think 3-3.5 cups a day should do her just fine.

She will eat when she's hungry and she may already be working herself to a two feedings a day regimine. I would cut back the amount of Kibble each meal, put her bowl down and see how that works if she's done pick up the bowl and don't give her any food or treats till the next meal time.

If you are using treats for training fine and dandy, but make sure you are keep the treats small so you can re-treat often but not fill the baby up on junk food which of course she'd prefer.

Good luck!

As long as she's otherwise healthy, I would offer her food just twice a day. The minuet she stops eatting her meal take it up and don't offer again until next mealtime. Do not allow her to pick at her food or eat more than twice a day, and until her eating habits become normal again--no treats. Maybe a bone or rawhide to chew, but no treats she can eat like food.

Things to take into consideration... she is around 4 months of age so she's teething. Appetites can dwindle for a few weeks during these times--nothing to worry about. Like the others said, she does need an appropriate amount of healthy excerise and stimulation, and she will eat when she gets hungry. However, if you spoil her by changing her food, giving her people food, offering her food throughout the day, and hand feeding her you, will have a very picky eater on your hands--no fun! I am confident that if you follow this advise she will come around and put weight back on again, maybe not right away, and you may find yoruself embarrassed by her weight at times, but tough it out and she'll come through it. Remember, YOU are not starving her, SHE is the one who refuses to eat. Big difference.

If, however, you feel strongly that there is more to it, see a vet and have her checked out. If she is not well, or has a blockage, this can also cause her to not eat well.

Best of luck!

What brand food are you feeding her?

Recently I aquired a 8 week old puppy. She ate like gang busters at first and then became very finicky. I reverted back to wetting her food (I did not change food nor increase/decrease the amount she was receiving). This went on for about 6 to 8 weeks and then she began eating her dry food again. I was feeding her at first 3x times per day then backed her off to 2x per day all along for a total of 3 cups per day.

Perhaps her teeth did hurt her. I think that along with the wet food and backing her off to 2x feedings per day (to make her really want her food ) helped a lot.

Hope this helps!

Johanne

She is very active. She has two big brothers that keep her entertained all day.
Thank you to all who replied. We just want what's best for our baby. Her parents are both beautiful dogs and have ample size to them. She is not skinny, but I worry that if this continues she won't grow to her potential. I really like the idea of feeding her small amounts 4 times a day. Maybe she just can't handle 1-1 1/2 cups at a time??

ooops forgot

She was 30lbs at her 4 month check-up. We are feeding her Purina Pro plan puppy.

Re: seems like alot of food

i have a 4 month old girl she eats 1 1/2 cups twice a day i would say she is getting to much she is on nutro nautral choice large breed adult food

I would not feed her three times a day. Two is plenty. You must have tons of poop in your yard.
Sounds like she is training you. I had a pet owner that did this. Even held the bowl up to his face for him to eat. She tried everything and he never ate another good meal in his life. Just turned his head when she offered it. Spoiled was an understatement.
I would try feeding two times a day and pick up what she leaves.

I am feeding my just-turned-4 months old bitch puppy 3 times a day; a slightly heaping cup each feeding, so about 3.5 cups total. I have her on a puppy food; she now weighs 37 lbs. She is well-covered, but not chubby nor roly-poly. I don't like to see them kept too lean; if they get sick, they have nothing to draw on.

She is always eager to eat; if she wasn't, I'd cut down the amount per feeding and take it out of her crate after 5-10 mins.

I don't like feeding just two larger meals a day until they are about 6 months old or so, and they usually want to cut out the mid-day meal by then. I think feeding two whopping meals a day this young (and younger) just gives a stretched out stomach and a digestive system that has trouble handling that amount of food at a time = loose stools......

I agree, I believe pups really need 3X/day until 6 mo. My 18wk. old pup is eating 3 3/4c. per day, she weighs 36lbs. There are occasional meals she gets less, like if we've been working on something special in training and she's gotten a lot of treats. This way I have more control over what she's eating amount wise and have 3 meals to make adjustments in not two. I also agree with picking up what isn't eaten after 15-20 min. and never any coaxing to eat, If they're hungry, they'll eat. Eating should have it's own value for the dog, coaxing them to eat at this age sets up a scenario of lifelong feeding issues. I also like to see " a little" xtra meat at this age, not too much just enough to tide them over should they get sick.

I have a 4 month old pup on just shy of 4 cups a day, she is not overweight at all, just a fast growing pup. I suggest talking with your breeder, who knows your pedigrees, to see what amount of food the pup should be getting.

A healthy dog will not starve itself to death, especially a Labrador. I was taught this method by a boxer breeder, and it has worked on my Labs, Havanese and cockers.

To start with, at 4 months 2 meals a day will work.

No treats or special food - straight normal dog food.
Day 1. Feed breakfast. Give him or her 15 minutes at most. If the dog doesn't eat breakfast, don't feed dinner.
Day 2. Feed breakfast. Most Labs will gobble this one down, but some are more stubborn. But if they don't eat breakfast, don't feed dinner again.
Day 3. I've never had a dog go past day 3.

You've got to be very rigid with this because the dog will take advantage to get the tasty treats instead of the main nutrition all he or she can.

I had and still have her. She was the same way.But i don't spoil my dogs.They learn to eat what is put in front of them.

Have you changed this pups food.?like have you tried several different foods to get her to eat.

If so that is probably your problem. I have a friend who did this. And her dog never would eat the same food for more then 2 weeks through the 14 yrs of the dog. she was constantly changing.
My girl is just picky. She will eat when she gets hungary.

I would continue with the 3x/day feedings. It does sound like you may be feeding a bit too much though.

I agree with no extras or table scraps as it can spoil them at this young age. I use peices of their kibble for treats.

I would add water to the kibble - swishing it around for abut 10 sec. to make a gravy and see if that will entice her.

I have always fed my pups and adults kibble with water and never had a problem eater.

One pup in last litter went off his food and I found out owner was feeding dry. As soon as they added the water - no more problems.

I agree with Not To Worry....I have a pup that does the same thing or shall I say did the same thing. He would be more concerned about other things that were going and would turn his nose up at his food dish. I tried the hamburger trick, same results.... gangbusters through the burger and nope to the hard food. I soaked, he ignored.... I called several breeder friends, all had the same advise. I fed him with my 3 other boys (I monitor and do not have food aggression problems) as soon as the pup walked away, I would snatch up his food and close the door. It took a couple days of this and now he is much better. I believe that the competition helps as well. He does not want anyone else eating his food. He is a slow eater however, so I just deal with it (at least he is chewing his food!).
As everyone else said, and I started to do, do not spoil her by hand feeding. She is training you and it will not help you or her in the long run.
Good luck with your girl!

I had a female puppy do this and she just needed a little less food and wanted to be fed twice a day... worked like a charm. I tend to forget that they all are different and what works for one dog does not work for another. I have had to adjust her amounts several times in the past year to accomodate her growth spurts and weight gains. She now eats eagerly - everything.
A