Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
weaning

At what age do you normally have your litters completely weaned? At what age do you start and how does the progression normally go?

TIA

Re: weaning

We usually start our litters when we introduce gruel. So between 3-4 weeks we begin to allow mom more time away and by the time the litter are 4-5 weeks we have upped feedings and weaned mom.

Re: weaning

I have my bitches with their litters nearly 24/7 for the first 3 to 4 weeks.

At 3 weeks of age, I start giving them canned food twice a day while mom is taking a potty break. The rest of the day, they feed just from her.

At 4 weeks of age, I'll feed them canned food mixed equally with dry puppy food dampened with water twice a day, giving mom a good one hour break during their meals. The rest of the day, they feed just from her.

By 5 weeks I feed them dry food dampened with water 3 times a day giving mom a two hour break each time, and leaving her with them the rest of the day.

By 6 weeks I feed them dry food three times a day, and they only get mom at night.

By 7 weeks they are off mom and just eating dry puppy food.

By 8 weeks, when I generally start letting them go, both mom and pups are adjusted.

This process makes the transition gradual for both mom and her pups.

Also, I have pups vaccinated a few days after they are finsihed nursing, and just eating dry food. This is when they will need their vaccines because they are no longer recieving antibodies from mom's milk.

The first day mom is on her own and no longer nursing her pups, I only feed her a few bites of food, The following few days I give her just a couple cups increasing the amount of food a little every day, so that by 5 to 7 days after she had been weaned from her pups, she gets her normal amount of food again. Feeding her reduced amounts following weaning is said to help dry up her nips and aviod the risk of problems, however while she is still feeding her pups, she should get as much food as she'll eat to make sure she's able to produce enough quality milk for everyone and still maintain her own health at the same time.

This is the process I use and it has worked great for me, my pups, and their moms.