Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
breeding a bitch who had pano

Has anyone ever bred a bitch who was diagnosed with pano as a puppy, and did any of the resulting puppies get pano as well? I'm leaning toward spaying this girl but would like input before I do. She had intermittent limping that was diagnosed as pano from about 4-8 months old, but she's fine now.

Re: breeding a bitch who had pano

To my knowledge there is no research to date that says that pano is %100 inherited. Someone correct me if I am wrong and please provide the article for my education.

I bred a girl who had pano. None of her kids or grandkids had pano. And there was a specialty winner in the mix. I'm sure glad i didn't spay her.

Re: Re: breeding a bitch who had pano

Very good question. However, pano is very commnplace and it is my opion it can run in lines.
Honestly, if you are concerned about breeding your girl because she had pano as a pup and has clearances now I would advise that you do not breed as you are not knowledgeable enough in dogs in general. Try and get a mentor, go to shows, get to know people, join a Lab or all breed club and spend much more time understanding the breed/dogs, common ailments, what are breeding issues and what are non issues.

there are so many issues in our breed that pano by itself is nothing in comparison....unless there are other issues you are not mentioning.

OTOH, I had a litter where a few pups limped b/c of pano. I did worry about breeding the dam again because of puppy people having to deal with that, and some vets who might overreact. I would just try to avoid it by asking stud dog owners if they have had it in their lines.

Re: Re: Re: breeding a bitch who had pano

Pano can have a varity of causes. Most pet dog owners exercise their dogs by throwing items versus a less violent, more natural exercise. They may throw balls that cause twisting and turning on joints and long bones that are not ready for such. Many people keep their puppy on a high powered dog food so there is less stool to pick up. Fast maturing lines seem to have more incidents of pano. So often one will see a puppy in the 6 to 9 month dog show class that is as mature as an 18 month old dog. There are many causes with few studies done on pano in Labradors. Observation over many years has made me feel the above mentioned issues may well cause or be part of what causes pano in our dogs.

Re: Re: Re: Re: breeding a bitch who had pano

I have a stud dog that had pano as a pup. To my knowledge none of his offspring have ever limped.

Re: Re: Re: breeding a bitch who had pano

Honestly, if you are concerned about breeding your girl because she had pano as a pup and has clearances now I would advise that you do not breed as you are not knowledgeable enough in dogs in general. Try and get a mentor, go to shows, get to know people, join a Lab or all breed club and spend much more time understanding the breed/dogs, common ailments, what are breeding issues and what are non issues.

I've been involved for years now: I belong to clubs, have a mentor -- more than one, in fact--, and feel pretty confident. I just wanted to broaden the conversation to include breeders from everywhere because I have had two of my Labs in separate litters come down with pano. (Same dam, different stud.) I want as much feedback as possible -- especially when the medical advice given at the Canine Inherited Disorders Database (http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/musculoskeletal/panosteitis.htm) is not to breed as it may be inherited.

I don't consider pano a non-issue since it causes the pup obvious pain and discomfort. It may be the lesser of many of the other evils we face, but to me, it's still an issue that deserves weighing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: breeding a bitch who had pano

Hi! I went to the page you were referencing and I noticed the authors are pretty up front that they really cannot say that pano can be inherited. They suggest it might be and suggest it is common in some breeds more than others, but as far as saying it is a proven fact it is an inheritable condition, they really cannot.

I also have to agree with the previous poster, that high protein foods have also been pointed to as the culprit for pano in labradors. That also is a hypothesis that has yet to be proven one way or the other.

In your own instance I am curious, when the pups from both of your litters went to their subsequent homes, did some of them get pano while others did not? Did you question the new owners what they fed their pups after they got them from you, such that you noticed those on certain brand foods developed pano, while those on other brands never did?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: breeding a bitch who had pano

Never fed my puppy anything but adult dog food. Developed pano and had it for about 4 weeks.

Yes I have and no pups were known to have pano. Some may have a high pain tolerance and it was never known or diagnosed. Bitch had a mild case that showed on her prelimins that was short term.

I believe there are many more important health issues other than pano out there in some breeding programs that do need addressing. Pano is the small change, I wouldn't spay due to just Pano. JMO

I have always been told pano is non-hereditary. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Here is a general definition and the citation for two relevant aricles: Panosteitis
Generalized inflammation of the long bones. Sudden lameness, usually in a front leg, self limiting. Dogs "outgrow" the condition. Pain can often be greatly reduced by restricting activity, i.e. rest is often the best medicine. Dogs that exhibit signs of lameness should be taken to a vet promptly for diagnosis.

MCOA Journal, 1994 #2, page 12, "Bone Survey Update."
AKC Gazette, 12/1994, page 59, "Treating Shifting Leg Lameness."

TY!

Regarding the question regarding my two pups who had pano: one (a spayed pet) was fed Purina Pro Plan Puppy Chow for her first six months and then adult Purina Pro Plan; the other (my bitch) has always been on California Natural -- puppy chow until five months, then adult food.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I appreciate your help!