Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
co-ownership commonalities?

I'm just getting started and the breeder I've found would like to co-own the bitch pup I want. This seems very commonplace and I am fine with it,even looking forward to it. She also wants me to pay normal pup price and she gets a pup back from first breeding. I also have no issue with giving a pup back from first litter should she make it through her Ch. and we both feel at that point she's something worth breeding. I would even feel right about a pup from second breeding should she want that. However is it normal to pay full puppy price (that she advertises) on a co-own?

Re: co-ownership commonalities?

Breeders have different contracts so it depends on the breeder. My personal experience was that the price was reduced on a co-own (and you would pay all the regular expenses) and the breeder would get a puppy back or two puppies.

Lots of different arrangements are made and it is all based on what works for both parties at the time. I've heard of co-ownerships where the puppy is sold and the breeder retains all breeding rights - the bitch goes to the breeder to whelp pups and all of the pups are sold by the breeder, and then the girl goes back to her family. I've also heard of the bitch being given outright (free) and co-owned on paper.

Re: Re: co-ownership commonalities?

If the breeder is going to get a pup back, you might want to stipulate what pick in writing. (and put everything in writing, btw)

If you are paying full price, maybe the breeder would be willing to take second pick of the litter?

I have a bitch puppy on a co ownership. Our agreement is a coownership until she is two, and has all of her clearances. (This protects the breeder, as I cannot breed her irresponsibly, (before her final clearnaces) and they know that I will get her clearances done. She is also showing, and doing very well so far.) I paid regular price for my puppy, and when I have met the requirements, they will release her ownership fully to me. I don't owe them any more money, or a puppy back, or anything else. although I would not hesitate to send them a nice puppy from her if they desired. I am glad that I have this arrangement, because I would sure hate to have to "give away" the best puppy in my first litter because of a contractural agreement rather than by my choice.

Everyone does a co-ownership differently depending on circumstances. I am not sure there is a "right" way versus what is "right" for the individuals and the specific dog. However, my experience shows me that having everything, and every possible situation, down in writing prior to the puppy going to its new home is the critical piece. This way each party knows exactly what will happen and who will be responsible for what, thus eliminating misunderstandings, hard feelings and worse.

I agree with everyone, GET IT IN WRITING. If the person is someone that you trust, then that agreement should be enough to stop any problems that may arise in the future. I made a "newbie" mistake with my first puppy and I will never let that happen again.

Haven't done a co-own yet, but as you can see all the arrangements are all slightly different and you make the deal on what you believe fair (and GET in writing).

But honestly, if posed with your co-own agreement, I wouldn't be happy. I don't see why you have to pay full price AND give up a puppy from the litter, and I am assuming you have to pocket all the expenses, but this breeder retains all say?

Any room for negotiation? Define the puppy from your litter as second pick, not first. See if they'll sign off on the co-own after the first litter.

Re: Re: Re: co-ownership commonalities?

It all depends. How good is the puppy you're getting?
As a newbie, would you have a prayer of getting it without a co-own and pup back?
Depending on the breeding, etc., you as a newbie could be too big a gamble for the breeder unless there ARE strings attached. Once you prove yourself as trustworthy, things get easier.
JMO, of course.

best advice from someone older and wiser, no-co-owns.

Sarah,

Then how does a new person to breeding or showing get a puppy worthy of breeding or showing? I did NOT come across even one breeder that was willing to let a newbie have full reg on a REAL show pick bitch.

And I am only a newbie to the show world. I started with field bred dogs and when I started doing obedience and going to shows is when I fell in love with what a lab should look like. I now just have show bred lab but they also do it all.

To input needed:

I have the same co-own. We co-own until 1st litter and she gets her pick from first litter and we agree on stud. After this she will sign full ownership to me. I do show her and pay all expense because really she is my dog. The breeder is just making sure everything is done right before she is bred. I think it says alot that she likes her so much that she wants a puppy back for her breeding program.

Good Luck

"I think it says alot that she likes her so much that she wants a puppy back for her breeding program."

She may sell her puppy back to someone else and may not want it at all!

my first yellow female was full registration, owned outright by me, and pick of the litter from two very well bred popular dogs. They're out there.