Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
crooked tails

I have never seen this or had it happen to me, but i was asked by a friend to see if anyone else has had this happen or have seen it.

A litter of golden retriever pups, 7 in the litter, and 3 of the pups have a crook in their tails at the base, of the tail. Does it mean anything? Is it bad? good? will it go away?

TIA
Kathy

Re: crooked tails

If they are keeping then in a wire ex-pen or something like that it could have caused it. It's really odd to have the end of the tail crooked.

Re: Re: crooked tails

They were born this way.

Re: crooked tails

We have had a couple of pups with kinks and I have been told that it can be carried through the line. I have never kept one to breed from. Also, the last one I had - had such a "kink" that the vet x-rayed the spine to be sure that the other vertebrae were okay. They were okay.

Re: Re: crooked tails

Thanks, I'll pass that on. Wonder if it would need to be double recessive on both sides, or just carried by one parent.
Interesting.

Re: Re: Re: crooked tails

I read a study recently that linked exposure of a pregnant bitch to pesticides, specifically Captan...to crooked tails in her pups.
Captan is a wettable powder for use in water as a spray for the control of certain fungus diseases of fruit, and ornamental crops.

Re: Re: Re: Re: crooked tails

Thank you.