Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
UC Davis Hip Displaysia Study

I know someone posted on this a while back, but I just got off the phone with Dr. Mark Neff, the Genetics researcher at UC Davis. I sent in some vials of blood from my GSD with Severe HD. They still need blood from any affected (especially those with Severe HD) GSDs, Labs, or Brittanys and will take and use all samples. You can only get results from your dog, so there is strict confidentiality.

He was saying that the "Eureka prize" would be to have a breeder who has produced half a dozen or so dogs with severe HD (or even moderate) who are all related. Providing the blood samples of these 6 or more dogs would give a genetic test specifically for that breeder while also helping the breed. It is easier to find the gene (3-5 linked alleles that are thought to contribute to HD) with dogs that are related.

There will be strict confidentiality and no one will know you provided the samples.

UC Davis wants to offer low cost genetic tests to make it more affordable for breeders to test their stock. Instead of just having the private labs that charge so much for the tests. With competition, the lab prices will eventually be forced lower. Because UC Davis Vet school is non-profit, the $40-60 charge for the test goes for the costs, if there is a profit at the end of the year, the "profit" goes directly into funding for more research.

I URGE you to get a blood sample out on any of your dysplastic dogs. If some of your puppy buyers have dogs with HD, have them get a blood sample out to UC Davis ASAP. This will help our breed and hopefully many others.

Results should become available in the next 2 months or so.

I have the sheet to send in with the blood, but if you don't want to e-mail me, Dr. Mark Neff's phone number is 530-752-1381; I'm sure he'll be able to provide the appropriate paperwork (1 sheet only).

Thanks for reading.

Elizabeth Arellano

Re: UC Davis Hip Displaysia Study

Do you know if they have a cut off date for receiving the specimens?

Re: UC Davis Hip Displaysia Study

Not exactly sure, but my blood sample vials broke, so am getting new ones tomorrow or wednesday...so sometime this week but I'm sure if you call and asked, they'd be willing to wait a little longer.

They fedex for you (they pay shipping) just put the vials in a container and a "clinical pak" from Fedex.