Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Smelly Boy

We have a year old boy who smells like dirty socks or a boy's hockey bag. We have checked his mouth, I am sure his ears are cleaner than mine he swims everyday after which we spray him with 1/3 listerine solution and rub him down. These are not kennel dogs and he is crated at night because he still gets into a little trouble, chewing etc. He does not have a crate pad or piece of carpet just the plastic to lay on because eats everything. I put the crate out everyday, hose it, have bleached it and air it in the sun to no avail. His tenure in the house will soon be limited, try riding in the car with him! Any suggestions? He has alot of coat, they swim in the river everyday and have their own kiddy pool at home, changed everyday. It is not a urine or smelly ears smell, just a musty mildewy smell. Thanks I am looking for any and all suggestions. We even checked his ears and back of his mouth with our vet. Could it be food? Or are we not getting him dry enough? He doesn't chew his feet or scratch, just smells bad!

Re: Smelly Boy

We have stinky swimmers here, too. I use NilOdor shampoo - problem solved! They will be getting their baths tomorrow, as they are unbearable, as well. Wouldn't love them any less, though, smell and all!

Betcha it's the water - had a boy, who had a very thick coat, smell really bad pretty much all summer when he went swimming. Swear it's in their pores or something There was a post about this just a while ago - trying doing a search...

Re: Re: Smelly Boy

My Pie is like that also.. I bought a blower.. and I dry her completely after each swim after clean rinse.

She never dried!!!!!! smell is gone

Jo

The odor you describe is common in boys. It is their sheath. It is normal for the boys to have a discharge from their prepuce and if you have the nerve you will find that is where the odor comes from. An earlier discussion was the odor of a bitch in heat. Again normal for that stage in their life.
You can flush your boy's sheath with a solution your Veterinarian suggests. It is an easy fix.
Good luck with your boy.

Multiple boys that was well said and it sounds quite logical

Re: Re: Smelly Boy

I once had a "smelly" boy and he improved once his anal glands were expressed!