Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dam regurgitating for pups

Pretty gross, but I guess it's instinct. Do you let the pups eat it or no? Mom is eating the same food being fed to the pups, so they are not getting a food they shouldn't have.

Re: Dam regurgitating for pups

i do not. Only because aside from the food there could be other "things" in it.

Yes, nasty, but I do let them.

I had a mom do this for almost a year long! I kept two puppies
from her and she just wouldn't stop. As soon as the puppies heard
her they would come running and new what it meant. It just depended on
where she would regurgitate if I would allow them to eat it.

I do not let them eat it. In fact, I have found that once the pups get old enough that mom starts doing that, I feed her seperate from the pups and give her a good hour or two to start digesting before letting her back in with them. While she's away eatting her meal, they are being fed as well.

The first few weeks, however, before mom starts throwing up for them, I leave her food available to her to eat whenever she wants, but once the pups are old enough to eat and she starts doing that, I take the food out and feed them seperatly. That generally stops the behavior, in my experience.

Good luck!

Re: Re: Dam regurgitating for pups

We recently added an 8 week old pup to the crew and my spayed, 2yr girl was regurgitating for the new puppy.
Per my breeder, we had to separate them at meal times and for a few hours after meals so she would stop doing this. The pup had tried to nurse from her a few times...I wonder if that's what stimulated the instinct.

One of my bitches didn't do it for her first 2 litters but did for her last 2 at 6 to 8 weeks. I tried to separate them for many hours, she still would regurgitate up to 5 hours later and with the pup I kept from her litter I don't know of a way to stop it, it's instinctual.

Re: Re: Dam regurgitating for pups

Yes, I have a girl that would do it 12 hours later. And it really is nature. I always call it Nature's Own Pablum. No one in the wild would stop them from eating it. I feel that as long as my girl gets fed a healthy food, and is healthy and clean herself, it's not likely going to be a major problem. The other thing is, there are times she's in there with them that I'm not right there, so how do I know I would catch it every time. My one girl did it for months when she saw her pup, which I'd kept. It took a long time for her to stop it.

She's just being a FANTASTIC momma! and is doing exactly what she's suppose to do. You can't monitor them 24/7, stop it when you see it if it bothers you let it alone when you don't..either way, they are going to eat it at some time or another and the benes are bound to be beneficial, nature has a way about it.

Our litter of puppies are now 7 weeks old , and mom just started regurgitating for her puppies last week. she'd come outside during our play time after their meal in the afternoon- and more than 6 hours have passed since her meal- and up it'd come.There is no stopping them either, they are all over it so fast.
It's gross, but it's nature.