Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question for Pro Plan users

I have feed ProPlan for almost 20 years. Up until recently all of my dogs seem to have done very well on it. Over the last year or so, I've notice more stool, softer stools and dirty ears...not infected, but dirty. Nothing is different in the dogs' environment or routines, coats are good for the most part, but sometimes they get a little flakey skin....I never had this in the past and am just wondering if others notice a difference in their dogs now as compared to a few years ago. If you have noticed a change in your dogs, have you changed foods and if so to what?
I appreciate your comments.....

Re: Question for Pro Plan users

You know, now that you say that I have niticed a diff. I have been supplementing with fish oil, coq10, selenium, vit. e and ester c as of late but the things you just mentioned are why I'm doing so. HHMM?

Which formula are you using? I haven't seen anything different but I had heard that Purina changed the Performance formula.

Re: Re: Question for Pro Plan users

Same here, now that you mention it I too have noticed more dirty ears than usual and drier skin. I am now adding Salmon oil to everyone's food. I heard that Purina sold out & that everything comes from overseas now. I don't know that for a fact though. Hmm I wonder if Purina will answer emails concerning this. I will try it and they should be at the Kansas City shows here in a few weeks. I feel Lamb and Rice.

My first thought (since your dogs have done well on it for 20 years) would be that the company changed the ingredients or formula.

I have heard of othet companies doing this and not listing the new ingred. on the bag.

They may have changed their formula or because you have been feeding the same protein source over many years it may be time for a change. Here is some information on why it's important to change dog foods periodically, taken from the link listed below.

"_ It helps to avoid the development of allergies. In a few extreme cases, you (or your dog) may be instantly and violently allergic to something. But that is a few extreme cases only - the vast majority of allergies are things that build up over time and with constant exposure. The surest way to develop an allergy to chicken, for example, is to consume it daily for an extended period. It is no coincidence that the most common allergens are things that have commonly been used in dog foods for many years. The (modern) advice given by nutritionists is that feeding a wide variety of different foods, preferably from a young age, can help to avoid the development of allergies in the first place (that's the advice given for humans too).

Common signs of allergies are itchy skin, red itchy paws, chewing paws, yeast infections, ear infections, and skin infections that may respond to antibiotics but reappear as soon as the antibiotics are discontinued.

That all adds up to changing the food you feed every once in a while. That means changing to a food with different main ingredients. There is very little benefit to switching from one chicken/rice food to another, for example. If you have been feeding a food with chicken as the main ingredient, then it is far better that the next food is based on lamb, or turkey, or fish, or beef, etc and that the other main ingredients are also varied."

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/changing_foods.htm

Purina is still owned by Nestle Purina (since about 10 years ago). So no recent change in ownership.

When the contamination issue came up, Purina announced that all of their ingredients are sourced from NORTH AMERICA. They do not import any ingredients.

It is quite possible that an ingredient has been changed and that your dog(s) might have a reaction to that change.

They have always been helpful when I have contacted them--why not call or email and ask? Explain the changes you are seeing, and ask if there have been modifications in the formula.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Question for Pro Plan users

I talked to the Purina rep at Syracuse and she told me the same thing. They're the only food company I trust.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question for Pro Plan users

Pro Plan is a great food... is it the perfect food for every dog, maybe not.. However Purina does have a number of different formula's to help with skin and allergy problems. Try the Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach formula...Its made with Samon and Rice... no wheat no corn. Or even now the Purina Selects formulas.
Also realize that we all have a hard time just feeding dog food... But, each time you add something vit, salmon oil, fish oil etc... you are now un-balancing the food.

I've feed the Pro Plan since it came out and still love it. My dogs are in great shape with no skin, ear, problems... I do feed the Performance diet, and the regular Sensitive Skin and Stomach made with Salmon and rice. the only thing I add to their diet is canned Pro Plan and some table scraps..
Purina is always there to answer questions, if not at a local show then email them... they will respond.
Other possible problems for your dogs could be... a change in water, a change in laundrey detergent, maybe the tick/flea product you use, shampoos, Air too dry for the dogs, etc...

Thanks all for your replies...I did have one of my girls on the Sensative Skin which really made no difference, and the others have mostly been on Chicken & Rice. I've use the Perfomance and Large Breed Puppy...most are doing okay and look okay, but there's a definite difference in everyone's stool.

Thanks again, I have spoken to Purina and have gotten the same responses as you....just seeing a difference in my dogs.

I feed PP Performance now and am just in awe at how good the stools are on the young dogs. I had some softer stools on the adults but that cleared up once I *stopped* supplementing with fish oil.

Coats are fantastic.

I had been using Pro Plan Chicken & Rice, and did notice a difference in my dogs as well. After much contemplation, and talking to Purina..I noted the change happened about the same time the Select formula came out. I tried switching to the Select Formula which oddly didn't come in chicken and rice then, but more recently a large breed chicken and rice has been released. I switched to Turkey and Rice, and noticed the "problems" disappear but that my dogs were a little heavier.. then I changed to salmon and rice.. and I have had my dogs on it since.. the stools are smaller and more solid once again and the coat and dirty ear issues I had are gone and on the salmon formula they are maintaining a good weight.

It might have been a coincidence but it sure seems funny.

Interesting....I'm actually switching mine over to a grain free higher protein...I'll see what my coats, ears and stools do, so far so good. I'll keep the selects in mind, I actually put them on that before the grain free, but may not have left them on long enough to see a difference.