Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SHOW CRUD

Looking for some advice here on show crud!! Not sure where it came from or how I got it - but the fact is I NOW HAVE IT!!! Desperate to find something to KILL this overgrowth of bacteria.... Before it wipes out my stock... I lost 3 pups with another one on Tuesday all at different ages and from different litters.

Yes, biopsy where done and the results boiled down to SHOW CRUD. (NO PARVO) I loss another pup on Tuesday from a totally separate litter that was quarantined from the others but it still got to them!! We have everyone on Meds now - babies and Adults just to make sure we have all our bases covered.

HOWEVER the reason Iam posting is because I would like to know what others have used in the pass for sterilizing their kennels - I got disinfected kennel spray from the Vet but I dont think its powerful enough!! So if you have had experience with such an outbreak and what YOU used in killing the disease - IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!! THX Pete

Re: SHOW CRUD

Here is some info that laura has posted on her website maybe you should contact her.......................
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/crud.html

Hi Pete, So sorry you're going thru such a rough time. Here's what I do...1cc Valbezon (cattle wormer) per 10 pounds of body weight or 1/10 of cc per pound if puppies, 2 days in a row.

Add to a gallon of water, 2 capfuls Neomycin Sulfate (Bio-Sol), 2 cc B12 complex inject (draw it up and squirt it in the water) 4 TBSL of Karo. Make this their sole source of drinking water. Be sure and keep mix out of light. You must give the plain Dannon yogurt as you are doing this it robs their systems of the good bacteria. Dannon is the only one that has all 7 cultures. Flys are SO BAD this year that's prob how it's spreading.

Good Luck.

Re: Re: SHOW CRUD

ThX LabMom2 - I have read her info and its very good info she has posted. However it doesnt cover my questions on what is used for CLEANING the kennel after such an outbreak. THX Pete

I would also like to point out that a bad whip worm infestation will mimic Parvo, and are only diagnosed correctly about 50% of the time. Ivomec used in the treatment of heartworn is not a high enough dose to also kill whips so you must treat specif. for whips, Valbezon is great for this.

Re: Re: Re: SHOW CRUD

When I had this 8 years ago, I used powdered Borax, and Bleach. Let it set 20 minutes , then rinse TWICE. My vet could not give me any ideas, but it stopped it. I lost countless dogs.

What exactly is "show crud"? I have heard of the dog flu and KC going around in the past. Also, where are you from? I guess what area do you think you got this in? This is just too darn scary.

Yes, someone PLEASE explain show crud to those of us not familiar and learning.

TIA

A friend of mine just emailed me to say that she thinks her dogs were exposed to KC. I told her to please watch her dogs closely as it maybe a week or more before she knows. And if anyone is coughing she needs to skip the shows the 2 weekends she has planned after that. This is where this "crud" starts. People that don't leave their sick dogs at home cause that want that point or need that title. Ok, sorry I will get off my bandwagon. Still waiting to hear what this "dog show crud" is and where it is.

Found this info with a google search: http://www.dogstuff.info/dog_show_crud.html

Says to treat with Cephalexin

I like laura's article the best...
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/crud.html

For some reason, I can never get to the woodhaven site anymore. I just get the page cannot be displayed. I've been getting that for months.

KC has nothing to do with crud...

Gail - try doing a copy/paste on this: http://woodhavenlabsforum.com/breedersforum/index.php

I've never heard of this either. Scary to say the least.

The info on Laura's site sounds like the way to go with treatment.

Prayers you can treat this and cure your babies

Ok I went out & read the links people have posted & now remember the "crud". Thanks for posting that info. Its very helpful (I know its not KC but threw that out there as a reminder). I would still like to know where the 1st "poster" might have gotten the crud from. East coast, west coast or mid-west? Everyone please be careful and I hope all of his dogs and puppies recover from this.

Yes I would like to know as well!!
OP, please come back and tell us where we need to be even more careful than normal!

Re: Re: Re: Re: SHOW CRUD

THANK YOU for posting this information, so appreciated.

To the OP, please let us know how you all are doing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SHOW CRUD

Just having had a similiar experience I can tell you that BLEACH BLEACH and then more BLEACH! I used a 30 parts water to 1 part bleach (4 oz to 1 gallon), all floors ,yards (yes even the grass),my pond,(for the pond and yards I used the same 30/1 but used chlorine which is much stronger ) bowls etc etc etc nothing except my carpet went unbleached. I spray myself with the solution from one area to the next ,every area has it's own bleach bottles, shoes, and disinfecting station...
this happened about 45 days ago
bowls , water buckets and pools are still being sprayed every day
yards twice a week
I had a young litter I sent to live elsewhere and brought them home after 2 weeks kept them in a highly bleached out area and they never got sick but trust me when I tell you , I sprayed myself with bleach after showering before I would go near them. and now they are in the same yard with the pups that started the mess and I feel very confident that my round the clock disinfecting for a full 30 days worked!
Good Luck, I feel for you I lost three puppies too....

SHOW CRUD

Hello All - Thanks very much for all your Help and suggestions!!! I can only hope that the worst is over for me (everyone's on meds) and with the BLEACH (thx Barbara)& Borax cleaner (sorry dont remember who said that one but thx). I hope to have rid my kennel of this horrible sickness!!! Woodhaven site is the best info at the most part about the sickness with the questions and answers - however its missing the cleaning process for your facilities - the "what to do" and "what works best to kill it"...

I live in Ontario, Canada - so anyone who lives in Ontario please, please be extra careful with your visitors!!

I know it didnt come from a Dog Show Site (as I've not been to a show in a long while) however we have had many visitors to our facility before the pups where born and there after and I truly think someone brought it to me shopping from one kennel to another!! (no one touches my babies before they are 5 wks old, they get to look through a window only)
So be careful - we now have MORE rules for shoe washing in and out of our kennel.

Again Thx so much for all your advice - I dont wish this sickness on anyone - so take care breeders and non breeders as you dont have to be a big/small breeder to get this and it can hit any dog at any age once infected!! Pete

Didn't have time to read everyone of these so if someone already gave this info I apologize for the repeat. We dubbed the diarrhea ( sometimes vomiting) we would get after a show ( often the potomac) as the creeping crud about 15 years ago and we found it was bacterial not viral and you will know this if you give antibiotics and it stops it. That will tell you it is not viral because antibiotics don't touch a virus. It usually stops it quickly. Now when we are going to shows, we take Tylen powder with us which we get at a feed store ( never the Tylen plus) and we put about an 1/8 th of a teaspoon in their dog food once a day for the whole trip. Since we have done that we seldom ever get diarrhea during or after the show. Another thing I have noticed that gives us a clue it is bacterial is that they can pass it on to another dog in a matter of hours rather than a week to two weeks. It is very fast.
Good luck with your pups.
Judy

People in my area have been reporting some sort of "virus" after attending the shows in Canfield, Ohio. I think that this is also probably the Crud as well.

While I've not had the misfortune to deal with this yet, can someone tell me if this virus (CRUD) runs in cycles? How are people treating the current variety of the CRUD - the ones you've heard from Canfield?

The problem I think is that some people *are* treating it as a virus and it is not. I do believe that it is a bacterial overgrowth. And when a dog is stressed from showing, traveling etc. it can rear up and cause problems. Too many bad "bugs" and not enough of the good ones.