Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Cryptorchid male puppy

We sold a male puppy at 8 weeks with only one descended testicle, (second never descended). Prior to family picking up puppy and everyone realizing he was a possible cryptorchid, I told them to wait as long as possible to neuter their boy as it is much better for him, orthopedically.

The puppy is now almost 11 months. The family told their vet they don't want the boy neutered until he is over one year as they want him as old as possible before procedure for health/orthopedic reasons. If the puppy was fully intact I believe this family would have waited until their boy was about 18 months. Their vet recommended that he do one surgery now to go in and remove the undescended testicle and then do a complete neutering at approx. 16 months.

Dog has no issues at the moment.

I am not sure what to tell them what to do. I want to say just wait until your dog is 1 yr and then neuter rather than do two separate procedures. Family has been happy with this vet so far. I believe he might have made this recommendation for two procedures as a compromise, to keep the boy intact as long as possible yet elimate risks associated with undescended testicles.

Any experiences, thoughts please.

Re: Re: Cryptorchid male puppy

I don't understand why they would opt for two procedures. If the retained testicle isn't causing any health issues, just wait and do it all at once.

No reason to subject the dog twice to surgery/anesthetic, etc.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Cryptorchid male puppy

Its my understanding that the undesended testicle could become cancerous. I at one time had purchased a pup with only one testicle in. At about 10 months we placed him with the understanding he was neutered by my vet. My vet did the neuter at about 11 months, followed all the up, there was no other testicle anywhere. I believe the sooner they do it the better he is old enough and if they go in looking for the one why not do everything at once. IMO when they are younger they rebound from any surgery very quickly.

All this just my past expierience and opinion.

Re: Re: Cryptorchid male puppy

I would have already neutered him. The risks involved with leaving that thing up in there where it doesn't belong are too high IMOHO.

Re: Re: Re: Cryptorchid male puppy - two surgery compromise

The family is considering two procedures as a compromise between elminating the risks of a retained testicle while trying to keep some of the hormones in the dog for as long as possible as it is better for him orthopedically not to neuter too early. So that is why they are hesitant to do a complete neutering.

Re: Re: Re: Cryptorchid male puppy

I sold a pup to a guy who did not want to neuter his boy even though the 2nd testicle never appeared. At last, the dog started having some hormonal problems and the guy reluctantly had him neutered. By this time the dog was 9 years old.

So my advice is tell them not to panic. Another 6 months will produce the desired maturity and should not harm the dog. Vets do get carried away and can be very dramatic & persuasive.