Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kennel Visit Etiquette

Thank all again for the help in the past regarding getting another senior lab for the retired lab we got from a breeder. We have found what we feel is going to be a good match for our lady, only about a year difference in age. We are planning a visit to the breeder to introduce the two and see how it goes.

Now to the question - kennel visit etiquette. Afer reading some of the horror stories posted, I am confused as to what is expected. I have shoes that can be cleaned, soles cloroxed, and dried in the sun. Will pack them up in a plastic bag and we can just slip them on when we get there. Even so, I would NEVER expect to be anywhere near puppies. Our lady is up to date on her shots and healthy. But, since the trip is a little long, we will have to stop along the way for a pit stop (so I can "pit"). Why do dogs have bionic bladders and we don't? Doing so is going to expose my lab to unfamiliar ground - what about her feet and what she might pick up. Is there something I can use on her to make sure she is clean and free of bringing in something. I just want to be sure I do this correctly.

Also, I would love to take along a treat for the other labs at the kennel. Any suggestions? Food treats always bring up the question of what kind, what is good, what ingredients to be sure are not in the product. My lady loves Cherrios as a treat, is that appropriate? Or should I just discount food at all and go for a toy, what kind, what are your kids favorites? Is this idea even appropriate?

As a nonbreeder finding this type of information has been all but impossible. Is this information available on the web? Seems to me it should be.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this rambling post, but am CONFUSED.

Re: Kennel Visit Etiquette

You sound like a very thoughtful person, a model dog owner. Why don't you just call the kennel that you are going to visit and ask them those questions? I'm sure that they will give you a protocol that they would prefer you followed as far as sanitation goes. And as far as treats go, they would also know best. Best wishes with your new family member.

Re: Kennel Visit Etiquette

You are very concientious and that is wonderful.

I agree with discussing all your concerns with the kennel owner.

Hoping your visit is successful and you can add this senior Lab to your family.

Re: Re: Kennel Visit Etiquette

Best wishes with your new addition!
Please let us know how things go when you get back.

I think I would stick to some toys since food is so tricky. Nylabones, anything from KONG would probably be appreciated.

Good luck!

Re: Re: Kennel Visit Etiquette

Thank you very much for your replies.

I should have made it clear and I just wanted to "surprise" the kennel owner with a little gesture to thank her for contacting me about her girl.

I totally agree about asking her about how to clean my lady's feet before she sets her feet on her property.

My husband wants a new car and I want a new house in an area where I can have more seniors. Guess who is going to win!! HA HA

Again, thanks.