Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy born with eye open

I'm sure I saw a thread about this topic awhile back but have searched back three weeks on here and can't find it.

Was the thread on this forum or another one?

I really just need to know what drops should go in the eye to protect it.

Thanks

Re: Puppy born with eye open

I think it was on this forum but I can't find it either.

I would call your vet for the proper drops.

I can't remember what they were on that thread but artificial tears makes sence to keep the eyes from drying out.

http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/976632990/show/647380

Breeder, can I ask what you put in the search engine to find this thread?

I put in "eyes open at birth" and nothing came up.

I just searched under 'eyes' and waded through all the threads

Hi, I just saw this, I was the person that did the thread on this forum and yes I had a puppy born with it's eyes open. The name of the drops was Celluvisc, it's an artificial tear but the best of them.

Also, sadly I lost the puppy, there were other problems too. Someone on this forum also mentioned they also had the same thing and lost their puppy. I wish you best of luck!!!!

Re: Re: Puppy born with eye open

I had started a post last summer regarding a puppy that was born with her eyes opened. We were told to just keep the eyes lubed at all times (any type of artificial tears) and to be sure that the lights in the room were kept dim. This puppy lived only a couple of days. There were other issues with her that were not so obvious at birth. Hope your pup is ok.

Re: Re: Re: Puppy born with eye open

I had a puppy that had a corner of it's eye open at birth. My vet prescribed a medication at one day old, but it was the incorrect one according to when I went to the opthamologist at 6 weeks. The optha. told me to use artifical tears, nothing else because it could burn the cornea. I struggled saving her for the first month and a half of her life, sadly, I had to put her down at 9 weeks. She had other conditions as well. Best of luck to you & your pup.