Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wife Swap

Just got done watching Wife Swap tonight.
The one lady apparently owns a kennel, so we wondered what she had...
Well, turns out she is a mill with multiple breeds (9) including Labradoodles!
I hope I don't get in trouble for posting her website, which took my husband all of 10 seconds to find by searching her last name and the word "kennel".
But I wondered if I'm the only one who is a bit upset they would put this woman on TV so she can say how proud she is of her "job"?
http://www.rushkennel.com/index.php

Re: Wife Swap

WOW!! I missed the show, darn it! That's some list of breeds there.

Re: Re: Wife Swap

Yes and the lady was a tad shall we say "loonie"?
She bathed in the tub with her poodles

well okay then!

I saw the promo at the beginning of the show and turned the channel...
They just seem to be going for nut cases to make the show "interesting".
Annie

If you surf to shipping " We have our own personal pilot and two drivers on standby, so travel is not a problem. We can ship almost anywhere in the United States. For more information about our shipping please visit our contact-us page. "

Also, look at her post in the guest book about the show being filmed at the kennel

Must say, glad I missed it

I started to watch it, but turned it off just as they swapped houses. Which wife was it - the one who lived with her toy poodles in the house, or the "organic" wife?

I too watched the show last night. I think both families were very extreme. I think the "dog lady" was nuty and antisocial and obviously had some traumatic expriences or some kind of sheltered life to turn out this way as an adult. It's really quite sad. She did admit on the show that she had a bad relationship with her father--not that it excusess anything, but it does give one insight into her weird world.

I especially thought the way she treated her husband was absolutley horrible! Then again, the fact that he would allow it and not leave her crazy ass....well I say people treat you how you let them treat you. She only gets away with it because he lets her.

Anyway, the one good thing I can say about this crazy lady is at least she loves her dogs. She seems to really, really love and care for their every need and then some. Most puppy mills don't give their dogs the time or attention she does--not even close.
You have to wonder if the airing of this show will put her out of business. Anyone in their right mind can see she's off her rocker, but the other crazies out their might love her, lol. Who knows.

The kennel owner was the one with the poodles, the organic lady thought dogs were dirty.

I didn't see the show but I read the "manual" on the show's website. What a nut job! As far as caring for her dogs, it seems like she only cares for "her 8 babies" that live in the house (not potty trained either). She has a staff that takes care of her kennel (mill). Sickening!

Yes, I agree, the house dogs did get treated quite well.
However they did show a tiny little clip that you could see her outdoor kennels in and there were LOTS of dogs.
I would go out on a limb to say she does not extend that affection to the "breeders" as she refers to them on her website. Afterall, doubt a great dane or Doodle would fit in the bathtub!
That term "breeders" when referring to dogs, in itself makes my stomach turn
I hope she does go out of business but sadly, unlikely.

I agree that the kennel dogs don't get the same care an attention as her house dogs, however, how many puppy mills do you know that hire a full time staff to care for their dogs? Some will hire a person or two if the have more dogs than they can take care of in one day, but she did say she spends over a $100,000 a year on her dogs. Most puppy mills are all about cutting corners and making as much profit as possible. I'm not at all supporting her or her mill. I think it's very sad, and I completly agree she is not an ethical breeder in almost any way, just saying that crazy and wrong as she is, I do think her dogs--even the kennel or breeder dogs are better cared for than most puppy mills.

All in all, she is nuts and should be stopped as a breeder, but should be allowed to keep her spoiled house dogs.

I'm not sure she has a staff large enough to care for the over 100 dogs she has in the kennel. She mentioned a secretary to handle the calls and e-mails, and a kennel manager who takes care of her dogs and other animals.

I do think she cares for them better than most mills I've seen, but she still refers to it as her "business," which funds her lifestyle of spoiling her house dogs and giving her 15 year son everything he wants (including a $200 a week allowance and brand new $50K SUV). Too bad she doesn't give him any of her time and attention. He probably would appreciate that more than the $$$.

The only way puppy mills can ever be stopped is when people stop buying from them, and what's the best way to get people to stop buying from them...education and public awareness.

Most people still do not understand where their pups come from or what conditions they were raised in. Many people don't even think about it. That is very difficult for some of us to realize and understand beacuse we know it so well it seems like common sense, but to many it is not.

So, what's one of the best ways to reach a lot of people...TV, and a popular tv show at that. Why doesn't one of our well respected breeders in the dog world apply for wife swap and use the opprotunity to help educate the viewers about proper care and breeding of purebred dogs and why mix breeds are not designer dogs and should not be purposely bred and should not cost as much as our well bred purebreds?

I understand most will not want to appear on tv and expose thier lives for all to see, and most will not want to swap lives with crazy extremests, but what an opprotunity to really make a difference and spead some insight into the many different types of breeders out there? I myself do not have a family and am not married, so before you ask why not you, that's why. Otherwise I might consider it.

Great idea!

Re: Re: Re: Wife Swap

In theory, yes, but will anyone step up to the challange? If it were up to me, I would say we should vote for a breeder who we think would best represent what we think is an ideal breeder, but even if a person was ellected, would they agree to apply?

I believe it is a valuable opprotunity. We are always saying what can we do to help? Even if we were able to educate one person and stop them from buying from a mill, they would spread their knowlege along and we could make a difference. This is truley a nationwide chance to educate millions of people in just one episode of a tv show. We should not wase it. Plus, I believe the families get paid to do the swap. A great chance to make some extra show money or to take well earned vacation...

PS there is also that other show that airs I think on Friday night, I forget the name, but it's the same thing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Wife Swap

I would say that the sad part is that MOST of us, and certainly the ones who would actually do a service to the dog world by being on the show would be far to mundane for the tastes of the producers of the show.
Some of us might do a few things to spoil our dogs that some think a little nutty,but nothing on the scale that they look for.
I am making a HUGE generalization here, but in my opinion, the Lab naturally seems to attract more down to earth people than many breeds, and is NOT the kind you buy if you want a baby doll:)
My life with our five puppers is pretty structured and normal in my opinion, although sometimes I do feel a bit like a dairy farmer without the milking ( and REALLY hard work) because if I don't get up at 4:30 to let out my dogs there is trouble:)
Annie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Wife Swap

8 dogs inside that arent housebroken?

eww! That's just unsanitary! No excuse for that.

I agree with whoever said the mills will be around as long as people buy pups from them.
Not only do people not think about where their pup comes from, but if they are aware it is from a mill..they delude themselves into thinking they are "rescuing" the puppy from the terrible environment which just perpetuates the cycle.

I agree, not every breeder will be the most entertaining, but then again we all think we are normal, even the nuts on the show think they're normal. Besides you can always spice up the application a little, or at least just apply. The worst that could happen is they don't call you to be on the show, but I think it's worth a shot. How often do you get the chance to reach so many people and educate them about such things. We all owe it to our dog community to educate the public about responsible dog ownership & breeding practices. What have we got to lose?

BTY, the other show I was thinking of was Trading Spouses.

I've never hear of Universal Kennel International.

$700 for a pup and has a little every few weeks it said in her email.

That's terrible.

Yick. Yick, yick, yick.

Just be glad she's not selling SILVER LABRADOODLES! *gag*

She has weims, poodles and labs? Let's not give her more ideas for her business.