Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy question

To all those longtime breeders out there:
How often, in your experience, has the pick puppy at 8 weeks actually turned out to be what you were hoping for?

Re: Puppy question

What I was HOPING for? NEVER
What I expected? 50% of the time

Re: Re: Puppy question

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No but seriously, I think 50% on the bitches maybe because we tend to be a bit more forgiving.
Males the percentage drops drastically.
Boys have to be darn near perfect IMO!

Re: Re: Re: Puppy question

Are you talking about looks and or getting the health clearances past at two. Makes no differene how nice they turn out if they don't pass clearances. So with that said. I agree you would be good to have had 5 out of 10 females and 2 males at tops. IMO Be prepared to part with them if you need to.

Re: Puppy question

For me what I pick at 8 weeks usually turns out to be what I thought they would, i've only had to place one girl in the last 10 years but it was a combination of not enough rear angulation and personality that I didn't like, now for what I hope they could be that is another story, we always wish for the perfect dog but that is the impossible dream. I keep striving to achive though lol....
Aloha,
Jackie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy question

"When Britsh breeders get together they talk dogs. When American breeders get together they talk diseases" (Saudje Cross Crook / POTOMAC 2007)

reply to:

Are you talking about looks and or getting the health clearances past at two. Makes no differene how nice they turn out if they don't pass clearances.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Puppy question

Sorry, but soundness will always come first of second with temperment. Then you also would hope like heck that you have the type you were breeding for. Yes, I will always talk about health issues. JMO

Re: Re: Puppy question

Overall, maybe one out of four.

Re: Puppy question continued

When do you decide that a show prospect isn't going to be good enough?
Do you give males more time to mature? I've seen some males at 12 to 18 months that seem rather ordinary and then see them at 3 and they don't look like the same dog!

Re: Re: Puppy question continued

The boys do need more time to mature. Sometimes the parts just aren't together yet. Other times you can tell that what you thought was an OK shoulder, turn of stifle, etc. just doesn't work out. Other times they are too big, too small. My experience has been that the boys wash out at a higher rate because I'm tougher on them as to what I'll keep. The boys have to be a 10 or pretty darn close. Have you ever noticed how many pet boys are out there that are very nice?