Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'Show to' Question

Would you show in September to the owner of the stud dog you are using in October at a specialty?

I don't think the stud owner would recognize my bitch.

Re: 'Show to' Question

Gosh I think I've been to specialties where the judge had presented to them in the classes the offspring of their stud dog.
It's kinda like a no-win position to put the judge in, know what i mean??

I dont' know that I would put someone in the position mentioned above.

Didn't mean the situation you are facing. Actually, I see nothing wrong with showing your bitch under them.

I wouldn't see any problem with that as long as you don't go shaking hands, introducing yourself and making a big deal out it. Walk in, show your dog, walk out. I would think you would be right in assuming he wouldn't recognize your bitch.
Just my opinion though

Re: Re: 'Show to' Question

Imagine if all of the people that had used Dickendall Arnold had not shown under Kendall when she judged. She would have had very few entries!

And how's the talk go if she (the stud dog owner) puts up one of the get, or on the other hand doesn't?? I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I just wouldn't want to subject the stud dog owner/judge to the talk that because she didn't put up one of the get, " hahha, well gee she must not like her own lines", or if she did put one up, was showing favoritism. In the scenerio you're mentioning with Arnold, well gee, I gues if half the class was made up of Arnold kids, and everyone else is doing it, then you could say "why not me too?!" But let's me more realistic about what you most likely run into, it's not going to be that situation, more likely just one of the stud owner/judge's dog's get, and it's going to be scrutinized when she does or doesn't put it up.

A well-known breeder judge whom I had gotten a dog from some years before was judging at a specialty - I asked her if I should even show anything to her. She said sure - just don't show me something I bred.

So, that's the rule I follow.

If the judge is a good enough breeder to have met all of the criteria to become a judge, it means that he/she has been doing this for quite some time. Anyone who is at that stage in this sport should be above "the talk" as you say. I have shown under quite a few judges whose dogs I have used with their get, and I have never been treated any differently then anyone else in the ring. I'll bet if you ask most of them they'll tell you to go ahead and show under them

The question is not, should you show the get, but should you show the bitch which you are about to breed to the stud dog. Totally different situation. I don't have the experience to even respond but am curious as to the answer to the original question. What if the judge ended up not liking your bitch?

I gave my thought on the original scenerio, in additon to a scenerio about stud dog owner/judge's dog's get. I know the second wasn't asked for, was just giving another example.
"Actually, I see nothing wrong with showing your bitch under them."

Ummmm, actually one very VERY long time breeder/judge told me it put her in an uncomfortable feeling position. I'm sure it doesn't bother some others.

So maybe some breeder/judge/stud dog owners on the forum would like to give their thoughts?

I have shown under quite a few judges whose dogs I have used with their get, and I have never been treated any differently then anyone else in the ring. I'll bet if you ask most of them they'll tell you to go ahead and show under them

I meant to quote the above in my previous post which is what I was responding to, not to the original question about the bitch.

A lot of breeder judges are familiar with many of the people in the ring being judged...just don't expect to win, don't expect to loose and be gracious with any result...have a little faith...most of the breeder judges will really try to look at the dog not the handler....after all, chances are they know many of the faces in the ring so they are forced to look at dog over handler.....if after you show, you truly think judging was biased, don't show under that breeder judge again....it is worth an honest try.

Wish the AKC would just make a formal rule about it -- either yes or no. This seems to come up somewhere just about every week.

Re: Re: Re: 'Show to' Question

If you're in the breed long enough, you'll know all the breeder judges personally! If it's a breeder judge with one stud and you are the one of few who has used him and he/she has told you that he/she likes your pups, it may be a bit tight for comfort... but if it's a well used stud, you better believe that both bitches who have been bred to him AND his get will be in that ring!

I can think of several breeder judges who I would not show to because I think they are biased, but the majority of the judges out there have been around long enough that they know a LOT of the exhibitors and DOGS, but put up the dog on the day. If they don't, then they won't get my entry the next time!

Re: Re: Re: Re: 'Show to' Question

I show pups and don't say a word to the judge until after the assignment. Think they would like to see what their stud dog is producing. I do not feel good showing to friend judges. Feel someone would say something if I did win. There are plenty of other shows out there.

"The question is not, should you show the get, but should you show the bitch which you are about to breed to the stud dog. Totally different situation. I don't have the experience to even respond but am curious as to the answer to the original question. What if the judge ended up not liking your bitch?"

So WHAT if the judge didn't like your bitch? It's his/her dog that is breeding the bitch, not the judge LOL LOL