Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
stud co-ownership

Would anyone be willing to share their "terms and "agreements" when co-owning a potential show male. This is not with another breeder it is with a family.
Thank you.

Re: stud co-ownership

When I place a potential show male with a family as a pet, I retain breeding rights to my own ladies. I pay all clearance costs (if it ever even gets to that point, ie, he is nice enough). I pay for semen shipping costs is applicable. I pay for showing costs as well.
They pay pet price and must let me know should they ever decide he must be neutered so that I can decide if I'd like to freeze him or not.

If it is show home that intends to use his "services" also, same agreement however I do not pay for clearances or showing.

Re: stud co-ownership

Here is the "Breeding" text of our co-own agreement. I am the family/buyer side of the contract. This has worked quite well for us. Dash the Corgi is now an AKC Champion as of July 8th! Our breeder has paid for the vWD test (Clear), CERF'd him yesterday (Clear!), and did the Fluff test (as we expected Dash carries the "fluffy" gene). They are trying to find an appointment time that will work for his final OFAs (he prelimed "good" at 16 months).

One clause that they put in our contract which has worked quite well for us (not so much for them) is the showing expenses clause. It is very generous from my perspective. The first entry fees I'm paying are for this weekend in Greensboro... they picked up ALL of his entry and handling fees on the road to CH.

Every co-ownership agreement is different. This one has worked quite well for us. We have been included in breeding discussions thus far (Dash has one litter on the ground), and we have a good working relationship with our breeder.

Cheers, K

----

Breeding Agreement
The buyer understands that this dog will not be offered at public stud, but may be offered under private treaty at the decision of the breeder. The buyer agrees that all decisions regarding breeding and stud service including but not limited to contract negotiations are to be made by the breeder. Breeder agrees to consult with the buyer regarding the convenience of stud service arrangements prior to signing any stud service contract. Buyer retains the right to use the dog at stud at no charge if the mating is to any bitch the buyer owns or co-owns. The buyer is not responsible for any expenses associated with stud service to a bitch owned or co-owned by the breeder. Breeder will oversee and make decisions regarding all breeding procedures and transactions. In the event the breeder decides to offer the dog iat stud under private treaty, the stud fee will be set at the discretion of the breeder. Costs for collection and shipping of semen will be billed to the bitch owner. Breeder will deduct any expenses incurred in breeding to bitches other than those owned or co-owned, and agrees to remit the balance of the stud fee to the buyer. Buyer agrees that there will be no stud fee charged for bitches owned or co-owned by the breeder. The breeder agrees to pay the veterinarian charges and filing fees to have the following health certifications performed, at the discretion of the breeder: A) dog’s hips certified by the orthopedic foundation for animals (ofa) after the dog is two years old; b) eyes certified and registered with cerf one time after the dog is one year old or before he is used for breeding; c) von willebrand’s factor dna test performed.

The buyer may make a request to have the dog neutered at any time. Permission to have the dog neutered must be obtained from the breeder in writing. Breeder reserves the right to have frozen semen collected from the dog and stored. In the event that the breeder exercises this right, the breeder will be the sole owner of the frozen semen stored from this dog If the breeder grants permission to have the dog neutered, the breeder agrees to sign over full ownership of the dog to the buyer once the dog is neutered. The breeder retains full ownership of any frozen semen stored from this dog regardless of the ownership of the dog. The buyer agrees to abide by these decisions, and sign any necessary AKC documents for registering resulting litters. The breeder agrees to notify the buyer of any potential mating at least one week in advance of any potential mating. The buyer understands that the dog may need to reside with the breeder for a few days at the time a stud service is being performed.

---
SHOW EXPENSES clause:
The above named dog is being placed on a co-ownership agreement and may be entered and shown in AKC competition unless the breeder notifies the buyer in writing that the dog should no longer be shown in AKC Conformation classes. All expenses related to showing the dog at shows entered by the buyer are the responsibility of the buyer. All expenses related to showing the dog at shows entered by the breeder are the responsibility of the breeder. The buyer understands and agrees that the breeder may occasionally take the dog