Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud dogs and heat.

Just a reminder. Know some are newer owners. A reminder to be careful in this heat. It seems to be in all areas right now. The heat can affect your stud alot and maybe to the point of being sterile. If out on the road with handlers, to training at a kennel. Good time to check on them and use caution with where they are housed. This heat is extreme as we all know. Of course, take care of all of them, just don't want to hear of heartbreaking storys.

Re: Stud dogs and heat.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Our boys are in the A/C and only out for short runs in the yard in this heat. They must be kept in cooler temps to keep their sperm count high. Good advise for those unaware of the damage that can be done.
Traci

Thanks ladies. I've never heard of this, but my guys are in the a/c regardless. In fact, all the dogs are inside today. We are having unbearable heat and humidity in Michigan. It's just awful.
I LOVE AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Re: Re: Stud dogs and heat.

Oh, my Laura, you had better keep those neat boy in the air. Don't want anything happening to them. Glad this was brought up.

Yes, heat can affect sperm production. Hutch talks about it at his seminars. Also human guys doing in vitro are advised to wear boxers instead of briefs to keep them cooler and their counts up. Its not a wives tail.

Well - tell that to the African, West Indian, Central and South American, etc. populations. Not only are they not noted for sterility... but they could teach most of us a bit about fertility...

Re: Re: Stud dogs and heat.

They seem to be wearing not much or loose garments.
You must not have a stud dog or care, but this is a fact and many have been lost to the heat over a Summer like this. The outcome will be months in the making. There was heat like this back in 1999 up North and bet they could tell you a few that never produced again. Just trying to alert someone that may not even think about it.

mmmmmmm Wonder if that's what my husbands problem is been out in the heat all day every day. LOl