Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
slip tie matings

Hello,

I would like some help or feedback concering slip tie matings.

I have a new stud dog, (age 2 1/2) and i am having problems with breeding him. (he has never been bred, but the female has)

The female is in standing heat for the 2nd day, and both days, he has had a slip tie mating.

I took the female to my vet today to have a numerical progesterone test so i can see where she is. He also did an examination, and said a male should be able to penetrate & do his thing.

He believes that a female can still conceive from slip-tie-matings providing the male is in long enough. But he said that i may want to consider doing an AI (pending the result of the progesterone test) to be sure. He also thinks the reason for the slip tie, is the lack of experience on the stud dog.

Please Help!!!!!

Re: slip tie matings

Hi,

Yes, the girl can and do get pg from outside ties. If you have any questions, you can email me privately.

JanG

Re: Re: slip tie matings

I would just do an AI

Re: Re: Re: slip tie matings

I've had 2 girls have litters from slip/tie breedings. 4 pups and 2 pups. Just do an A/I soon!

Re: Re: Re: Re: slip tie matings

Yes, my original foundation girl was bred 3 times and each time was a slip and she had 9, 6 and 6 pups in her litters. I used a different stud dog each breeding but my girl was bred natural back in the day and didn't enjoy the mating process so she would resist the tie process.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: slip tie matings

Just had one a little over a month ago and the bitch did not get pg, her progestrone was at 6.0 two days before we did the breedings, the male however looked very short in the weanie.
Aloha,
jackie

We had a slip tie with successful results. Luckily, we were right there and able to A/I what didn't make it in. ;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: slip tie matings

Had a slip tie ages ago that resulted in 3 puppies. Same bitch was bred two other times and conceived 8 pups each time. Get an AI.

Re: Re: slip tie matings

A dog does not need to tie to produce a litter, I have a very experinced stud dog who I have just used over one of my girls. We had two slip matings over the weekend however Monday morning we had a 20 min tie and he went on to mate her twice more with good ties. I firmly believe that if a bitch is ready to mated then the dog will have no trouble, with the above bitch despite the bloods suggesting she was ready to mate the stud dog didn't agree, "AND I TRUST HIM BETTER than any blood results, I will let you know in a few weeks if she is in pup. I also have this girls grandmother who has had 3 litters, to 3 different dogs and she hasn't tied with any of them, and we have never done an AI either, her litter sizes were 9, 7, and 5. As I told a breeder the other day who was also having problems with her stud dog mating a bitch, Trust your dog. I wouldn't panic.

I know all about this now. ha I posted on here last year about this same question. I had 1 male produce a singleton, He had tied other times. But ran out of steam for this breeding.

And then my young male like yours, I should say inexperienced didn't know what to do. But once he finally entered her. He did a slip tie and has produced 6 pups. So now he thinks he is
1 hot stud muffin !!!!