Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I wish I had said... in my puppy contract

I am going over my contract for my newest litter. Anything anyone can think they forgot to add or added later? Or BE SURE TO ADD.

TIA

Re: I wish I had said... in my puppy contract

*No public boarding before 6 mos. of age.
*I also put a clause that covers crypt orchid males, haven't needed yet, but I do offer to pay $50 of additional neutering costs in the event.
*Puppies/dogs come back to me if they can;t keep, no questions asked.
*Not to be sold/given to pet stores, research or brokers.
Just a couple.

That no portion of the rights of ownership may be transferred. This is something I learned the hard way. Argument used was that the person I placed the dog with was still on as co-owner, so she believed she didn't violate the clause that said the dog could not be sold, given away, abandoned, etc. since she was a co-owner.

I've got that covered now in my contract!!

Re: Re: I wish I had said... in my puppy contract

Buyer agrees that this dog shall never be used for breeding. Buyer understands that this dog is being sold on a “limited registration”.

any advertising, publications, websites etc. done with the dog in any capacity must reflect the registered name of the dog including the breeders kennel name.

Please make sure that you check the "doggy laws" in each state as they are all different. If your contract does not conform to your state law, and you have a problem, the law will hold precident above your contract.

Re: Re: I wish I had said... in my puppy contract

The law will ALWAYS hold precident over your contract.

I have a clause in there that the Buyer agrees to be a responsible pet owner and provide a safe environment for the puppy, keep the puppy up to date on all innoculations and follow worming protcol of their veterinarian.

I put a great deal of things in mine that I know are more than likely not even enforcable. I just like having them in there because I think having them in a contract makes a bigger statement to the puppy buyer than simply suggesting them. For example, I state that the buyer must provide adequate nutrition for the puppy, and then go on to define what adequate nutrition means.