Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Phosphate crystals in urine

I hope maybe someone can tell me about their experience or knowledge about these crystals in teh urine. I have 4 mo female who had the classic signs of a UTI. I took a sample in and it can up with high WBC (infection) and phosphate crystals. We started her yesterday on clavamox for the infection, but my vet wanted me to switch her to a prescription diet (Science Diet CD).

The only experience I have with crystals is with my rescue, lab/hound mix, and she has been on 3 different prescription diets and STILL has crystals. Now I am not a strong believer that these $65 prescription diets are the cure.

I did ask if it could be from the infection, and she said possibly. I am allowing my girl to drink as much water as she wants, and is already showing signs of the UTI clearing up (no more accidents in the house )

I am just wondering if anyone can suggest something other then going straight to a over-priced prescription diet. The crystal type she has is phosphate.

THANKS

Re: Phosphate crystals in urine

By "phosphate," I'm guessing that they are the triple-phosphate (or struvite) kind? If so, and there were other signs of a UTI, they were probably induced by a change in the urine pH as a result of the bacterial growth. Bacterial UTIs tend to make the urine too alkaline, and thus, the crystals form and create more irritation which then leads to the "vicious cycle" of UTIs (pretty common).

If they are due to the UTI alone, the antibiotics (and making sure she remains well-hydrated) should get rid of the crystals. Maybe if the antibiotics don't do the trick, consider cranberry tablets as an "acidifying" supplement before considering the prescription diet?

Just a thought....

Re: Phosphate crystals in urine

Thank you for your input. What dosage does everyone use for cranberry caps? I was considering putting all my girls on it, esp the youngsters. Is it a daily supplement? How much per pound??

Re: Re: Phosphate crystals in urine

I use the Cranberry caps for my Min Pin rescue. The cranberry helps to prevent the bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall as well as making the urine mor acidic. The dose is one capsule a day -425mg) though I use 2,and dump the contents on her food and cover it up with Nupro she eats it right up and I don't have to stuff the capsules down her throat