Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy Buyer Concerns

The last of my puppies went home over the weekend. The puppy was dewormed earlier (2,4,& 6 weeks) and had a negative fecal float at 7 weeks. At 14 weeks, she went to her new home. She had her first heartworm pill on Monday and she pooped worms out Tuesday. New owner concerned. He took her to the vet today. The vet dewormed her after she tested positive for roundworms plus gave additional wormer for 2 weeks from now. New owner is concerned that the puppy is acting lethargic now. (Granted it is very warm here but she is in A/C. She plops to the ground when taken outside. Temp was normal at the vet's today.) I am thinking that that is alot of dewormer in her system so quickly - Heartguard on Monday, another dewormer today. What are your thoughts? TIA

Re: Puppy Buyer Concerns

I think you're probably right, she just needs a day or two to get over all that de-wormer.

I'm sure she'll be fine............good luck.

What dewormer did you use at 2, 4 and 6 weeks?

I also de worm at 8 weeks just before the pups go home, total 2 4 6 8 weeks of age. .1 per pound(strongid type de wormer)at 2 4 6 weeks and at 8 weeks .05 x weight. I agree, heat and perhaps too much in the system, pup should be fine. GL

Re: Re: Puppy Buyer Concerns

Find a smarter vet - the heartworm treatment alone would have taken care of the residual roundworms I think and then if there was a new occurance the next months Ivermectin would take care of it. I also give a last worming just before they leave. The poor little thing was just overdosed with wormer

I use Strongrid-T. My personal thoughts were that the Heartguard should have been enough to rid the pup of any worms. Let it do its job, check the puppy again in 3 weeks and see what a fecal sample shows then. I just think using Heartguard plus another dewormer 2 days apart was too much for her little system. I am going to suggest a vet change only because the vet is more concerned with the number on the scale than what the puppy looks like. She said the puppy was overweight - 29 lbs - felt she should be 27 lbs. But yet, there is a defined waistline and to me, not overweight, just a solid puppy. Frustrating.

Thanks for all who have responded.