Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Treatment of Ground In Pen Area

We have two separate areas for our girl. A nice big fenced in back yard and a small fenced in pen off the side door, about 9' x 12'. After the first winter we had her and after innumerable walks in the backyard in freezing, snowing and sleeting weather, we trained her to do her business in the pen. Works great. Right out and then right in.

The problem is that the ground in the pen area is taking a beating. The urine has long killed the grass. We will try to replant in the fall. No big deal. My concern is that with the amount of urine that is being deposited there, it will sour the ground and we will begin to get odor and flies.

I am sure that many have encountered (and conquered) this situation in the past.

Could really use the benefit of your experience. Thanks in advance.

Re: Treatment of Ground In Pen Area

try yard odor killer it smells like simple green works great it comes with a quick connect hose i had a fly problem now the smell is gone and there is no flys used it one time 4 weeks ago and it still no smell i am sold on it

Yes, the yard odor killer works well for the smell, but I don't think it does anything for the soil. That might be an issue for a PH enhancer or have a landscaper with a small bobcat scrap off the top 4-6 inches of soil and replace that before resodding.

Re: Re: Treatment of Ground In Pen Area

Use Sweet PDZ , sprinkle right on grass. Changes the PH , kills odor , and flies are gone. Found at horse feed store, ask they will order it. Twelve dollars for large bag.

Sweet PDZ is great. I have used it for years and swear by it as well. However, if you can't find you can put a 50% solution of white vinegar and water in a large bug sprayer and apply to the ground weekly, it will neutralize ammonia etc. in that area.

Re: Re: Re: Treatment of Ground In Pen Area

My herd runs in my large fenced back yard and I long ago gave up on the grass idea near the house - the rest of the yard is heavily grassy but near the house where they hang out - it is just dirt.
As to odor the best dirt cleaner is rain - is this area covered? I don't use any chemicals but I do a lot of hosing down to wash away odors, and I pick up poops several times a day, a necessity because if I don't a couple of my bitches will!!

Re: Re: Treatment of Ground In Pen Area

In my most heavily used pen, I just switched to limestone--several layers of rock, finishing with crushed rock. It is staying clean (with scooping of course) and odor-free without any special treatment.

Trying to keep grass in a heavily used area will drive you nuts. My guys have an acre with pasture grass to romp in after they "air" in the rock pen.

MK

Re: Re: Re: Treatment of Ground In Pen Area

Thanks to everyone for your informative answers. They were exactly for what I was looking.

I intend to incorporate several of them into my pen.

Thanks again.