Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stud dog owners ?

How many charge board for visiting females? I do not mean the few that are ready to breed and at your home for 2-4 days but all the others who want to come way to early because they do not want to miss the right time. And refuse to do Progesterone testing! Like I had a female here for nearly 3 weeks...waiting,uuggggh!

Re: Stud dog owners ?

I have the 5-day rule in my contract. Board is included for 5 days (if they progesterone tested, they will be fine), after 5 days of board, they get charged $25/day boarding (purposely made high enough so that progesterone testing sounds much more inviting).

Re: Re: Stud dog owners ?

I love this one. That is perfect Lucille. I just almost will not breed if they do not test. Why waste everyone's time. I am not keeping those girls for weeks and weeks anymore. I have my own boys to think about. I test for my girls, and expect the same.

Re: Re: Re: Stud dog owners ?

I have not til recently charged board. But after realizing that I had "given away" 5 wks of my time in one yr to the same family on the initial and the repeat of their bitch sitting here because they can't "count" I decided it was time to CHANGE

So, now it's 7 days....no charge then a sm amt charged, I ask ppl to pre breed test, but it's their option. I do not charge to do AI's on bitches, my theory....is, it's my "job" to transfer the "goods" from boy to girl??

Quick thought on a subject I have been pondering.
So if you as a stud dog owner have a charge for bitches that "come to visit" for breeding, and extra charges if they visit to long, do you rebate that short visit amount from your contract if the bitch never visits??

OOoops hit send before I was done. Bitch not visiting meaning FedEx AI either chilled or frozen.

Stud fee cover's just that. - only the sperm
AI kits, FED X shipping, board for bitches is extra. If they don't need or use the extra services then obviously they don't have to pay for it. They would only have to pay for stud fee. i.e. if they brought the girl to our home and we did a natural collection there would be no FEDX charges and no AI kit charges. If they took their girl home, no boarding fees.

after having a few girls stay longer than needed,, and not due to bad weather(winter),, just because they had other commitments etc
i insist on prog, testing.. no board charged for the breeding days if she staying with us ,, once breedings are done i call to say shes ready to go home
if she is not picked up ,, i charge boarding fees .. i havent had any stay longer than necessary,, except for one with bad weather, that couldnt be helped.. LeeAnne