Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fleas

what do you all suggest for a prego doggie that has fleas out in Arizona? Actually different breed, Mastiff, but I thought someone here would know. TIA

Re: fleas

Frontline

I don't know if I'd use Frontline on a pregnant dog. I'd speak to them first.

I'd probably bath the dog with something non-toxic, comb her out with a flea comb, and treat the area with something like Archer, and maybe a least toxic insecticide if needed. Bio-Integral Resource Center (BIRC) is a good resource for finding non-toxic and least-toxic, integrated pest management (IPM) solutions, so I might call them.

Another article: http://ohioline.osu.edu/b586/b586_2.html

Good Luck.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

what do you all suggest for a prego doggie that has fleas out in Arizona? Actually different breed, Mastiff, but I thought someone here would know. TIA

Re: Re: fleas

BIRC also has a website "Ask the Expert"

http://www.birc.org/ask_the_expert.htm

Haven't used it, but it might be worth while checking out.

Replying to:

I don't know if I'd use Frontline on a pregnant dog. I'd speak to them first.

I'd probably bath the dog with something non-toxic, comb her out with a flea comb, and treat the area with something like Archer, and maybe a least toxic insecticide if needed. Bio-Integral Resource Center (BIRC) is a good resource for finding non-toxic and least-toxic, integrated pest management (IPM) solutions, so I might call them.

Another article: http://ohioline.osu.edu/b586/b586_2.html

Good Luck.

Replying to:

Re: Re: Re: fleas

frontline AND Advantage are labeled safe for pregnant and nursing bitches.
Read the package insert and you'll find it.
I went thru this last year.
I have used both products since then and never a problem with puppies!

Re: Re: Re: Re: fleas

I don't care if frontline and advantage are labeled safe for pregnant animals, I would go the natural route instead of using chemicals on my dog, give the dog a bath with a mild shampoo and use avon's skin so soft, supposed to repel and get rid of fleas.
Aloha,
Jackie

Skin so soft natural? Ever read the label?

Well so it is so labeled. I should google before I write. The spray apparently isn't approved though. I would still be careful and it would depend on the situation whether or not I'd use Frontline on a breeding, pregnant or lactating bitch or queen as I have heard of some animals having serious reactions to it.

Here's an interesting Frontline quote:

"Do not use the Top Spot on kittens or puppies less than 8 weeks of age. The spray is approved in the United States for use at 8 weeks of age in puppies and kittens. The spray is approved for use in other countries for use in puppies and kittens as young as 2 days of age."

Replying to:

frontline AND Advantage are labeled safe for pregnant and nursing bitches.
Read the package insert and you'll find it.
I went thru this last year.
I have used both products since then and never a problem with puppies!

I have used Frontline on my girls for years. Do wait until they are passed the 21/28 day mark. I do every other month and try to have them protected before they are bred. Never had a problem. Fleas would be awful on pups. Can cause bad health issues. Think you would be safer with that than trying all sorts of things. JMO

Re: Re: Re: fleas

Someone sent us a pup that had to of had over 200 baby fleas all over her body. I put Frontline on her the minute I saw all those fleas. It took 24 hours after applying Frontline but it killed all those suckers but not before we had a huge flea infestation at our house.

Hi,
I'm new here and fairly new to Labs as my foundation bitch just turned two. I don't know much and am here to learn but I do have a good natural solution to fleas. I make an infusion of either rosemary and lemon (the whole lemon sliced) or pennyroyal, let it sit overnight, then strain into a spray bottle. I use dried pennyroyal in bandanas around the neck and use the spray bottle on the bitch. It works! But you've still got to get the fleas out of the house or kennel or wherever the bitch is. The spray smells good too, which is a nice plus.
Anne
Forge Mountain Labs

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: fleas

Jackie I understand your concern, but trust me, the natural stuff doesn't work!
Hopefully the flea problem isn't as bad in HI as it is here...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: fleas

Another natural non toxic solution is to sprinkle DE (diatomacous earth) food grade it is deadly to all crawling insect things but perfectly safe for dogs and bedding and floors. I use it in the kennel and feed it to horses and dogs as a parasite preventer. Works good I think and is safe
I have never used Frontline or Topspot and I do not have any fleas

Nope, never read the label and have never used it myself as i've never had fleas where I live, too hot and dry where I live, my friends have told me it works though.
Aloha,
Jackie

Replying to:

Skin so soft natural? Ever read the label?

you can use any kind of oil on them, (baby oil, skin so soft, cooking oil) to pick them off. It slows them down so much they can hardly move.