Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Letting pup go at 7 wks

I rec'd a request from puppy buyer who wants pup at 49 days old. Said read in a book that 7 wks is optimal age, and I always though 8 wks. What is your theory?

Re: Letting pup go at 7 wks

The 49 day theory would be true if the puppy were raised in a vacuum.
The puppy will get just as much human interaction at your house and will get more dog on dog social skills and better bite inhibition if left in the litter longer. I would wait until at least 8 weeks.

sorry, pups go home at 8 weeks.

Many states require that by law!!

Re: Re: Letting pup go at 7 wks

Puppies have less of a separation issue at 7 weeks.
However, at 7 weeks they can not control their bladder or bowels as well as 8 weeks.
Puppies at 8 weeks are bonded to their litter mates so the separation is harder and they cry more.

Those who hunter want to get their dogs at 49 days so the pup bonds w/ them.

Re: Re: Re: Letting pup go at 7 wks

sorry, i dont agree at all. my pups are just fine going home at 8 weeks and do not have separation problems.

also, de worming and boosters should be thought of...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Letting pup go at 7 wks

Think most of us do 8 weeks or even a little older if we are deciding on which pups to keep. 7 weeks was an older thought, mostly hunting guys thought that way. And yes, think it came from the same book. My pups that just went home adjusted so fast and slept right through the night the second night. How much better could you want. Separation problems, that is silly. Not good enough reason.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Letting pup go at 7 wks

I have heard from many who now like to keep till 10 weeks. The idea that an 8 week puppy can not bond as well as a 7 week old puppy came from an old book by Richard Wolters,(1961)

In my last litter I had I kept them a little longer after a health scare to ensure all was well. All the families have been so happy that the pups were so well mannered from the get go, all sleeping in crates through the night and very little potty issues. We just had a reunion, and I can say that these pups are super well adjusted and SOOOO bonded to their families.
I am now going to do my best to hang on to my litters a little longer when possible. It helps me, and the pups in my very humble opinion.

For those interested, here are the facts on the 49th day.
http://www.calibertollers.com/49daymyth.htm

In the following article the reference is in the very last paragraph
http://www.gundogmag.com/training/pro_062204/

Annie

That ol' seven week garbage is still out there.
Here is a good article. I hope it helps.
http://www.patriotgold.com/49days.htm

I've also had good luck with puppies that go home at 8 weeks or older. They are easier to potty train and very well behaved. Haven't had any issues with bonding. Labradors bond with whoever feeds them . I sent a puppy to a puppy raiser for a service dog organization when it was 12 weeks old. It was with 2 littermates up to that point. It went on to become a "star" with the service dog organization. Keep the pups until they're at leat 8 weeks old.

That is a crock of you know what about the pups getting more attached to the littermates... they will not be well adjusted puppies if they don't stay with their littermates until at least 8 weeks old, they NEED that time with the litter to know how to interact with other dogs. I would tell them no way. At 8 weeks or older they are ready to leave the nest and they don't cry as much when going to their new homes and they DO bond just as well with the new owners.
Aloha,
Jackie

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Puppies have less of a separation issue at 7 weeks.
However, at 7 weeks they can not control their bladder or bowels as well as 8 weeks.
Puppies at 8 weeks are bonded to their litter mates so the separation is harder and they cry more.

Those who hunter want to get their dogs at 49 days so the pup bonds w/ them.

I agree, it's an old wives tale. When I was teaching pet training classes, part of my preparation for teaching was learning about puppy behavior. There was so much information in the latest studies that suggested puppies need that time with their littermates to learn and act out "adult" behaviors. Being with their littermates until 8 weeks can be crutial.

After being weaned from their mother at about 6 weeks, the next 2 weeks or so are spent playing and acting out different behaviors. How many breeders have watched the "bully" in the litter beat up the other pups only to be shunned and walked away from? He must adapt his behavior if he wants to play since most puppies don't play the way. So he learns if he wants to play, he must play nice! This is just one example.

Although most Labradors are easy going and not bullies, I have placed and taken puppies before 8 weeks with absolutely NO problems. We are just very fortunate to have a breed with an awesome temperament!

Hope this helps!

Dianne

The 7 week pup sale comes from the "Monks of Skeet" book and they are talking about German Shephards.

First, I never let my guys before 8 weeks, sometimes I keep them longer, especially if I'm not positive which one I might want to run back. But I will say there have been several occasions where I have purchased a puppy that was let go at 7 weeks. Wow, what a difference! Not in a good way, either!! They have a much MORE difficult time with separation anxiety, were harder to start housebreaking, etc...

I make a point of explaining to my puppy buyers that it costs me much more time, energy and money to keep them longer, but I try to do what's best for the puppies, not what some buyer may or may not read in a book.

I believe the old 49 day rule was ala Richard Wolters' books, and I think that may have been true in the day of puppies being raised in barns or garages without a lot of people time. These days, most reputable breeders raise their "kids" in the house with lots of socialization time. So, I don't think the old 49 day rule applies much anymore.

Best,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

As has already been stated, better check your state laws. State of Florida states puppies cannot go to their new homes until 8 weeks; if you are flying any puppies to their new homes, that is also 8 weeks. I have had those types of requests before also and comply only in special situations, like I know the person really well, I know their vet really well so that if something happens, I am not going to get in trouble for releasing a puppy too early. Also, I know the person well enough that they are capable of dealing with a 7 week old puppy. I do believe puppies learn some more manners from their littermates and mother during that last week.