Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sprayed by skunk

Help.......friends dog sprayed by a skunk ---- she is expecting company!!! What can she use in the house to get rid of the odor ? I can't find the recipe for the home made skunk off for the dog, we need that too!

Thanks in advance

Janice

Re: sprayed by skunk

I just did the search and found what I was looking for but if anyone has anything new that works welll I would be interested!
Thanks

Re: Re: sprayed by skunk

LAB METHOD DEODORIZES A SKUNK-AFFLICTED PET
from Chemical & Engineering News, October 8, 1993

Paul Krebaum reports from Lisle, Ill., on an apparently good method of "descenting one's pets."

For several years, he says, his group has been using alkaline hydrogen peroxide (30% H2O2, 6M NaOH) to scrub hydrogen sulfide from waste gas streams in the laboratory. This reagent, he says, also works well for destroying excess thiols in dilute aqueous solution. Some time ago, Krebaum says, a colleague announced that his cat "had an rather unpleasant encounter with a skunk." The colleague had tried the standard remedies (for example, tomato juice), but the cat was still too rank to be let into the house. Because skunk spray is composed mainly of low molecular weight thiols, Krebaum says, he suggested that the cat be bathed in a version of the lab's alkaline hydrogen peroxide reagent. The colleague reported the next day that the stuff had worked like magic, and the cat was back in the house.

Krebaum says the formula (for pets) is as follows:

• 1 qt. 3% hydrogen peroxide (from drugstore)
• 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
• 1 teaspoon liquid soap

The bath should be followed with a tap water rinse.

Re: Re: Re: sprayed by skunk

Remember to apply the above recipe to a DRY dog....It works great! If the dog had a collar on you can toss the collar in the bucket for about 10 minutes and then rinse well.

Re: Re: Re: Re: sprayed by skunk

To get rid of the odor in the house: Put some dry coffee grounds and whole cloves in a cast iron skillet and heat just until it starts to smoke. With potholders, carefully walk through the house. It is a very nice scent and will get rid of the skunk odor.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sprayed by skunk

I just tried that, don't have skunk odors but mmmmmmmm it smalle SO GOOD! thanks gail r.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

To get rid of the odor in the house: Put some dry coffee grounds and whole cloves in a cast iron skillet and heat just until it starts to smoke. With potholders, carefully walk through the house. It is a very nice scent and will get rid of the skunk odor.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sprayed by skunk

I meant it SMELLS so good...whoops..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: sprayed by skunk

I will pass that one on to my friend - coffee & cloves sound good to me!
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Janice